Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Offline mode

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I use RDM 2019.1.7.0 with a SQL server datasource.
I mostly work in my windows environment.
If I want to use RDM at home I'm not connected to the company network so I don't have a SQL connection.
In windows all my items keep on working in offline mode.
On Mac however, only a few, from 1 vault, are there.
So on Mac not ALL the items, in ALL vaults are offline available.
When I'm offline I miss almost everything.
I even, when I was connected, browsed through all my vaults so make sure that the program sees all the entries.
But, at home, he misses vaults and/or items.

So, please make sure all my items(in all vaults) are available when I'm offline.

Korstiaan

Clock3 mths

Hello Skor,

We have been able to reproduce your issue and a ticket has been sent to the engineering department.

Best regards,

Antoine Mauger

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi skor,

I'm investigating the issue with missing entries in an offline vault of SQL Server right now. One thing I'd like to note first, have you opened all your vault at least once online in RDM Mac? Vaults that have never been opened online will not have an offline cache an therefore there entries won't be listed offline.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Yes, 100% sure I did that.
The first time I tested I realized that I possibly did not opened all the vaults.
Therefore, for the weekend, I browsed through all the vaults on the mac.
At home however, the items where not there.
Even worse, when I took a certain vault the items of the previous vault were shown not the correct ones.

But also; It must detect automatically all the changes, even I never used them before.
How could I otherwise keep track of it all? this is impossible to follow and would take to much work.

Clock3 mths

Hi,

I understand, but we never load the content of Vaults if you do not open them. Therefore, we cannot save them to an offline cache in those instances. There is no realistic way around this as the point of the Vaults is to reduce the loading of a data source by spliting its content into multiple sub-component loaded dynamically only when needed. That, specifically, is the same behavior as RDM Windows.

As for the bugs of most entries not being loaded in Vaults that actually do have an offline cache, we do reproduce one such issue. In one specific datasource, nothing but the folders get loaded. What does it look like in your case? What type of entries are missing in your Vaults? Is it random?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

I've pinpointed the issue on our side and I am not entirely confident this is your issue. First of, not just the folder were preserved but a couple of entries up to a certain point where the loading breaks. This is an issue that is already fixed internally and pertained to the fact that a specific entry contains a $DATA_SOURCE_USERPROFILE_*$ variable (so any variables starting with "*DATA_SOURCE_USERPROFILE_"). This is because, when resolving this variable we try to communicate with the datasource, but it failed since it is unreachable. So at the moment the loading of the entries reach such an entry, an error occurs and the loading is interrupted.

If this is your issue, there should be an error in the Application Logs. Regardless, if it is or not, this could be useful to have it. Could you provide us with it? Help -> Application Logs -> Open.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

I missed all items in some vaults.

1. Just tested. Now it worked?? (after a too long timeout) Maybe because I stopped the program, pull-out the cable, start the program?
Normally I don't close the program. I put the mac in sleep...
I don't trust it. I'm sure I browsed through all the vaults before the weekend and during the weekend, at home, it didn't worked. Even after restart. The items were not there.

2. Dropbox datasource crashed (exception failure) when I tried to switch to it without cable.

Clock3 mths

Nothing in the logs for this weekend.

Clock3 mths

As for your first point:

The too long timeout occurs when you just disconnected from the internet (be it pulling the cable out or turning the wifi off). In those instances, the connection to the data source (and I am not aware why) does not seem to immediately realized that the server is unreachable and therefore times out, which can be quite long by default (30 seconds I think).

At this point, I can only assume the the offline cache was somehow corrupted for a reason or another. How long was it before the last time you used your datasource online and the time you opened it at home? It could have been outdated or incomplete (in the case of the Vaults, for the reason I explained earlier).

As for your second point:

RDM crashed? That is, it closed? In my case, it simply does not connect with the "Not connected" label in the entry tree. Do you have a crash report? Or anything in the Application Logs after the Dropbox crash?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

No RDM crash.
See picture:

dropbox exp.png
Clock3 mths

Can you copy the content of the text view and post it here?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Sorry, I only had the screenshot.

Clock3 mths

Hi skor,

The dropbox error is normal, I've checked it and it is simply an Offline Exception, which is unsurprising if your Dropbox data source is configured with the Account mode.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths