Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Additional PARENT variables required

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Devolutions team
In a connection we can use variables. This is very handy for automation and linking of properties.
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?settings_variables.htm
In a subconnection we can use additional PARENT variables.
Currently we're using a number of fields from the parent "Information" tab.
Unfortunately not all fields in the Information tab are available as Variable in a subconnection:
What IS available:

• $PARENT_INFORMATION_COMPANY$
  • $PARENT_INFORMATION_EMAIL$
  • $PARENT_INFORMATION_IP$
  • $PARENT_INFORMATION_MACHINE_NAME$
What I would like to have additionally:
  • $PARENT_INFORMATION_DOMAIN$
(other fields is nice but not needed or used by us).

Why:
We are using subconnections for ILO subconnections of (RDP) server connections. Our ILO's DNS entries are in a subzone of the production zone, so for server1.demo.com the ILO would be in server1.ILO.demo.com. we fill in the information on the server entry:
Information - General - Host: server1 Domain: demo.com then we can reuse this information in the ILO subconnection by specifying the address for the ILO as: $PARENT_INFORMATION_MACHINE_NAME$.ilo.$PARENT_INFORMATION_DOMAIN$

Clock4 mths

Hello,

We will add this to our todo list. We will let you know once we've added the $PARENT_INFORMATION_DOMAIN$ variable, it shouldn't take us long.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

After investigation, I think the variable $PARENT_MACHINE_DOMAIN$ is what you're looking for. It returns the domain field from the Information>General tab of the parent:

2019+08+09+9+23+52

Could you try out this variable and see if it works for you?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

2019-08-09_9-23-52.png
Clock4 mths

Ah! that indeed seems to work.
Have been testing it, and this indeed seems to take the information from that field, exactly what I was looking for, Thanks !
I didn't see the variable listed in the documentation on https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?settings_variables.htm so maybe the request is now only to update that page ! :-)
Although it IS present in the "Entry Variables" page that we can find when pressing the "Variables" button in the lower left corner when editing a Subconnection entry.
So thanks for your reply, I can now continue without even waiting for the next release.
Regards, Ben van Zanten

Clock4 mths

You're right, we'll need to update the documentation page to reflect this. smile

Please let us know if you encounter any other issue!

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths