Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

RDP connections closing without known cause

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I recently started using a MacBook as a replacement for an older Windows laptop. I downloaded the Mac client for RDM and imported all my hosts from an online backup. For some reason my RDP sessions are closing automatically and I'm not sure why. The same servers that I've connected to for years without incident from Windows laptop are giving me issues now that I am connecting from a MacBook. Is there something unique to the Mac version of RDM that would be causing my active sessions to be constantly disconnected? It is happening often and sometimes I'll even be in the middle of typing something in a command prompt on the remote server so I'm positive it isn't some sort of idle timeout on the remote side. If I reconnect, everything is just as I left it. This is becoming very annoying. I don't have any issues when connecting to the same systems when using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client for Mac, but that isn't as nice as RDM.

Clock3 mths

Hi,

To help us troubleshoot this issue, we will need the log of one of your sessions so we can identify the cause of the disconnection/termination of the session. You can enable the logs through the Help -> Session Logs window. Once enabled, just use your session until it closes unexpectedly and then go back to the Session Logs window and send me the log of the session that closed. There is a Share button in the Session Logs window title bar, you can use it to Mail me the log in question to the following address: xfortin@devolutions.net

With this log in hand, we should have a better idea of what is happening.

Also, have you changed any of the default settings in either the Preferences or the sessions themselves? Could you provide me with a screenshot of your Preferences window with the Session Type -> RDP tab selected?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Apologies for the late response. Here is the tail end of a log from a recently dropped RDP session.

[15:26:41:738] [13048:03a74000] [DEBUG][com.freerdp.core.rdp] - recv Set Error Info Data PDU (0x2F), length: 22
[15:26:41:738] [13048:03a74000] [INFO][com.freerdp.core] - ERRINFO_DECRYPT_FAILED (0x00001192): (a) Decryption using Standard RDP Security mechanisms (section 5.3.6) failed.
(b) Session key creation using Standard RDP Security mechanisms (section 5.3.5) failed.
[15:26:42:391] [13048:037ee000] [DEBUG][com.freerdp.channels.rdpsnd.client] - Close

Clock2 mths

Hi Tom,

Your server appears to be configured to use the old and deprecated encryption of RDP. I'd suggest making sure that the server in question is properly configure to support TLS. This would most likely resolve this issue.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

I think it's related to FreeRDP. Is that something you've embedded into RDM?

Google search shows a lot of other users with same error message when using FreeRDP.

Clock2 mths

Hi Tom,

Yes, our embedded RDP session uses FreeRDP. As mentionned though, the "Standard RDP Security mechanisms" is deprecated, so we can assume there is no active development on it.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock1 mth

Under Preferences->Session Type->RDP I changed the setting for RDP Engine from Modern to Legacy. It appears to be working fine now.

Clock29 days

Hi Tom,

This must mean that newer versions of FreeRDP have a bug with your server authentication. Just keep in mind though that the Legacy engine (as its name implies) is based on a quite older version of FreeRDP (it hasn't been updated in about 3 years) and is no longer actively supported by us (by which I mean, we no longer updated it and bring new features to it).

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock26 days