Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

F5 BIG-IP Edge Client

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Good morning,

I tried to use the "F5 FirePass SSL VPN Client" Add-on to automate connections for the F5 BIG-IP Edge Client.
BIG-IP Edge Client seems to use the same executeable (f5fpc.exe) and the vendor provides a cli reference:
https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K16418

Opening a session with the mentioned Add-on works great but after clicking the close button the connection is not terminated. Furthermore, "before disconnect" and "after disconnect" macros are not executed and the option "Go Offline on connection" seems to have no effect.

Should the add-on be compatible with BIG-IP Edge Client?

RDM version: 2019.1.39.0 Enterprise
Datasource: MySQL
BIG-IP Edge version: 7180,2019,119,331

Best Regards

Clock4 mths

Hello,

When closing a VPN with F5 FirePass VPN we use the command

f5fpc -top /s "SESSION ID"
. This command should work fine with BIG-IP Edge Client.

Starting RDM as an administrator could help to confirm if RDM has proper access to close the VPN. Could you test it and let us know the results?

That being said, what you are trying to run in Before disconnect and after disconnect.

The Go Offline on connection, switch the connection in offline mode. You should see the text (Offline) at the right of the data source name or an amber Earth at the bottom right of RDM.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the fast support.

I tried to run RDM as an administrator, but the close button still has no effect. I also removed the "before disconnect" and "after disconnect" commands before testing. Previously, I was trying to run "f5fpc -stop /s "SESSION ID" manually using this events but that command was also never executed.When running "f5fpc -stop /s "SESSION ID" from an administrative PowerShell, the connection gets terminated and the BIG-IP Edge client also gets closed.

Furthermore, I found out that there are no log entries with the message "Opened session" for the F5 VPN. For me, it looks like if RDM doesn't get the currect status of the vpn connection and thats why the "Go Offline on connection" option is also never triggered.

Best regards

log_entries.png
Clock4 mths

Hello,

I opened a ticket with the engineering department in regards to the Opened session, it might be the issue.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

We've made some changes internally which we believe might be able to fix the issue where the "Opened session" logs do not work.

We don't have the setup to test this VPN so we can't be 100% sure this will work.

The changes should be available starting from RDM 2019.1.42.0. Please do let us know if it works or not after updating.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

thanks for your support. I will test it when the version 2019.1.42.0 is available.

Best regards,
administration

Clock4 mths