Forum / Devolutions Password Server - API and SDKs

Documentation of the SDK

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Helle dear support team,

is there a in-depth documentation of the SDK?

I've already downloaded it and started to get code working to log in and off, but there seems to be no documentation on how to create a password document. The DVLS_functions.txt file that is included in the source files isn't even up to date and I can't make sense out of simply the code that is provided.

Can you give me a simple working example on how to create an entry as a username / password document? It would be great to see how I would go about creating an entry that has a password included.

I hope you can help me out with this.

best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock5 mths

Hello,

I would need to verify with our business architect, but he's on vacation right now. We will get back to you as soon as we can.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello,

has there been an update on this issue yet?

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock4 mths

Hello,

This is my first day back from vacation and I need to see what we can offer in the short term. My colleague Erica has a bunch of scripts for automated testing of our server, I will ask her to sanitize them and to post them as samples.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

From what I have tested, I can create a Credential entry and saving almost all properties except for the most important one, the password! So it is not working as it should.

A ticket has been sent to our engineering department and once I will get any information, I will let you know.

Sorry about that.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

For your information, here is the Python script I use to create a Credential entry (username/password). In fact, because the creation doesn't save the password in the right place, the get_connection_password returns an empty string. When I look on the web UI, the entry has been created without any password.

from dvlssdk import DVLSConnection
from dvlssdk.EntryType import *

DPS_URI = 'http://Your_DPS_URL'
DPS = DVLSConnection(DPS_URI, errorLevelLog='INFO')
DPS_ADMIN_USER = 'YourUsername'
DPS_ADMIN_PW = 'YourPassword'

DPS.login(DPS_ADMIN_USER, DPS_ADMIN_PW)

response = DPS.create_credential_entry("Default",
"MyCredentialEntry",
UserName='MyUserName',
MnemonicPassword='MyPassword',
Password='MyPassword',
Domain='MyDomain')

### Check the entry's password
Credentials_Entries_result = DPS.get_connections_by_name("MyCredentialEntry" )
Credentials_id = ''
if Credentials_Entries_result.success:
Credentials_id = Credentials_Entries_result.data[0].get('id')
pwd_response = DPS.get_connection_password(Credentials_id)
pwd = pwd_response.data
print("The password is : " + pwd)

DPS.logout(DPS_ADMIN_USER)

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

thank you very much, I will test this code later today.

Also, is there a way to create a folder through the SDK as well? That would be crucial to us, since we already have a system with many folders and up to 6 hierarchy levels.

best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Here is some sample commands you can use to create folders and subfolders. The Group property is used for creating subfolders. Without this property, the folder will be created as a top level folder (under root folder).

response = DPS.create_connection(name='MyTestFolder',
entry_type='Group',
Description='Folder created from PythonSDK')

response = DPS.create_connection(name='MySubTestFolder',
entry_type='Group',
Description='Folder created from PythonSDK',
Group='MyTestFolder')

response = DPS.create_connection(name='MyDeepSubTestFolder',
entry_type='Group',
Description='Folder created from PythonSDK',
Group='MyTestFolder\MySubTestFolder')

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

hello again,

I now have tested the provided code and it works all fine, except for the mentioned error about not being able to fill the password. I hope this is going to be fixed soon, else the SDK is pretty lacking.

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Glad that the Python scripts are working on your end.

About the saving password issue, once I will get an update about it, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I need to finish my bachelor thesis very soon and evaluating the Devolutions Password Server is a crucial part it. The SDK needs to work properly for us, therefore I need to set a deadline. That deadline is Thursday the 12th of september. If this problem is not fixed until then, I will need to document it as a major bug in terms of the automation. That means, that the Product has a pretty low chance of being chosen as a follow-up product to our current system.

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I saw that you have posted in the Remote Desktop Manager section about importing sessions from a CSV file. As there is an issue with the Python SDK, another method is to use the RDM PowerShell module to create, modify or import entries. Let me know if this is a good solution for you.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

That would be a great solution too, but we have project running that is build in python and in that project we try to automate more of our production procedures. For that it would be necessary to create entries on the Password Server.
That Powershell module you mentioned would still be really useful for the migration part. Could you provide sources for that?

best wishes,
Niklas

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Here is the online documentation for the RDM PowerShell Scripting.
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/powershell_cmdlets.htm

You will also find multiple script samples in the following PowerShell Repository forum section. Don't hesitate to post in that section if you need more information or need help to build a script.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

would it be possible to create a login (account) type Entry through the SDK?

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Even with a Login (Account) entry type, we will get the same issue to save the password in the newly created entry. This issue hasn't been prioritized yet. Once an update on that issue will be available, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Is there a chance that saving passwords via the SDK will be fixed in the next release? We are trying to work this into out automation processes and would much prefer to use the python SDK instead of the powershell cmdlets.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

For now, as the engineering team is currently ironing the next DPS version 2019.2.x, no improvement, new features or bug fixes will be inserted in the current project schedule. We are very sorry about that.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

I can't find in the documentation of this APi if the Python part is 2.7 oriented or Python 3 oriented. Were can I find this?

At this moment I'm trying to built a script with 2.7 but I'm running into some issues.

Clock12 days

Hello,

There is indeed no indication on which Python version it's running. The script published in this thread is running on Python 3. Could you please try it on version 3?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock12 days

Ok. i just installed Python3. And I wonder if i can acces the Database to get the information that I'm looking for.

Clock12 days

Still having an issue with the tooling.
It raises an error about IronPython.

I could solve it bit removing the stack_info option, my is set to False. but I don't know if it wise to do. maybe it is still needed somewhere else.

Clock12 days

Hello,

I have installed the latest Python version 3.8 and get the same issue. If I use instead Python 3.6, it works perfectly so I have compared both __init__.py files and then comment the second parameter like the following and it's now working.

I am really not sure if this is a good method and haven't analyzed this further.

This is the method that is been called and there is a 3rd parameter in the method.

Let me know if this is now working properly with the provided modification and if I can find any explanation, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock11 days

Hi Érica,

I have just tested your solution and it seems to be working. Thansk for the quick support. For now everything is looking fine. I can acces the information that I need for my project.
But the documentation could explain a bit more on how to read and use the repositories. For now it's a lot of "trail and error".
Best regards,

Clock11 days

Hi Érica,

is there a big difference between version 5.0.2.0 and 6.1.3.0?
Because I get different result in the attempt to connect to both of them.

Best regards,

Koen.

Clock5 days

Hello Koen,

There is indeed some differences between DPS versions. A lot of improvements has been made and even the newest DPS version 2019.1.20 will provide different information then the previous versions.

Do you plan to maintain older different versions in your environment?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock5 days

Hi Érica,

I'm not the person to decide this.
I can only advise our department and help them with some scripting. Do you think it can raise some serious issue when we maintain older versions?
And the newer versions have improvement on the performance?
Because our current DPS could use some improvements on performance.

best regards,

Koen.

Clock4 days

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. There is no problem to maintain older versions in your environment but we are not improving them or fixing any issues on those versions anymore.

Indeed the latest DPS version 2019.1.20 is much more responsive than version 5.0.2 or 6.1.3.

If you need assistance to upgrade your DPS instances, please send us an email at ticket@devolutions.net and we will send you the information to book an upgrade session with one of our technicians.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 days