Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RDM 2019.1.34 Add-on management

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi team,

i use RDM since a very long time and i'm not satified with the current Add-on management.
I use in RDM MobaXtem add-on and it's listed under installed Add-on as well, but when i want to add a new session , i can't find MobaXterm. Why?

PS: I'm also confused about your release management.
RDM 2019.1.34 was published as final version for some days, and now it's still beta and the current RDM is 2019.1.30. How to i explain my
SW managment, why a GA version falls back into Beta state?

many answer on both would much appreciated.

rgs Jens

Clock5 mths

Hello Jens,

Our add-on integration change because we want to simplify the management of add-ons. With the new integration, add-ons are included with the application itself. So no more update to manage as an administrator, we reduce the time you lose by updating add-ons. As soon as RDM is updated, add-ons are also updated. We have a nice blog regarding Remote Desktop Manager Add-on Manager https://blog.devolutions.net/2019/06/improved-feature-rdm-add-on-manager.

That being said, the MobaXterm application is not managed through the add-on. The add-on is the communication between the application MobaXterm and RDM. You can continue to update Moba as you did before by installing it on the computer. Under File > Options > Path you can find the Default path of MobaXterm. RDM default path for Moba is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mobatek\MobaXterm".

Regarding the version RDM 2019.1.34, rarely we deprecate version but customers inform us very fast that this version had issues for standard-user authentication. Some of them lose access to the default vault. We did not remove the version because customers that do not have this issue can continue to work with. The issue is a major enough to switch it as Beta. We are sorry for the confusion.

Shortly we will release RDM 2019.1.35 that solve this user access issue.

If you have any other questions please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello David,

your are not right.
As mentioned above, the OLD mobaxterm sessions are working, that would NOT be the case when the path is incorrect.
So please tell me, why is the add-on manger show the add-on as installedm but when i try to add a new entry it doesn't find MobaXterm!

rgs Jens

mobaxterm.JPG
Clock5 mths

Hello,

Is Mobaxterm is checked in Tools -> Add-ons Manager?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Many thanks Jean,

i use the Mobaxterm since a while in RDM and it works... the problem is, i can NOT add new MobaXterm sessions. So why should i tick the MobaXterm add-on under the Installed add-ons? it doesn't makes sense. But yes, when i ticked it on, i can create new sessions for Mobaxterm.

I use a lot off add-ons, but with the current add-on manager under Installed Add-on, except MobaXterm, no add-ons are ticked on and all are working.
So the new Add-Manager is not working as expected... i hope this will fixed soon..

So why should i enable add-ons when the new strategy is to provide ALL add-ons with RDM.

rgs Jens

Clock5 mths

Hello,

The Add-ons Manager allow you to enable the ones needed for your organization.
This avoid having a tons of connection types that you will never use.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Jean,
can you please explain, why should i enable an add-on which i already use and it's working?

rgs Jens

Clock5 mths

Hello,

In RDM 14 and above, RDM was installing a DLL file locally to enable the Mobaxtern add-on.

Now, in RDM 2019, no more DLL is deployed. It's now all handled via the installation folder of RDM. You just need to enable or disable the add-on of your choice in the Add-ons Manager section.

Since the add-on management has changed, this is why enabling it again was necessary.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

I am also not really happy with the new add-on management.
Situation :

Currently we are using corporate wide RDM version 14.0.5.
When someone needs to create a VPN connection to one of our customers, RDM is configured to jump to one of 16 virtual machines where the VPN
connection is created.
RDM on the virtual machines is configured to look for an add-on folder which resides on a network share.
That way RDM knows exactly which add-ons are available.
This is also not USER installed, but SYSTEM installed. Everyone who logs on to the virtual machines sees all installed add-ons.

Situation with new add-on manager :

When a user logs onto one of the virtual machines, there is no add-on installed when checking Add-On Manager.
Strangely enough, the session still works and starts the correct VPN connection (for example Forticlient).
When checking the session properties, the correct VPN add-on is also not visible and even the VPN settings (like username/password) are not visible.
Only when adding the correct add-on in Add-On Manager will bring back the add-on with its settings.
HOWEVER.....this only applies to the current user and not for system. The next person who logs onto the same virtual machine where I added the VPN add-on, will have to do the same as I did.

Please let me the best solution for :

- Every user who logs onto a virtual machine sees all available VPN add-on WITHOUT them needing to install it themselves.
- All configured add-on are updated automatically
- Add-on settings are visible instantly.

Clock4 mths

Hello,
The good news is that all our add-on are updated automatically when you update RDM. The bad news is that is has to be enabled but I understand you case and I have an idea on how we could solve your issue easily. I will ask our dev team to enable a list of add-on directly from the Data Source Settings. This should be done soon. In the meantime, just enable it in Add-on Manager

Thank you for your feedback

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Many Thanks David, that sounds a plan.. rgs Jens

Clock4 mths

Hello,

We have just finished the code to set required add-ons on the scale of a data source. The changes will be available starting from version 2019.1.42.0 of RDM.

The following screenshot shows the process to follow to setup your required add-ons on your data source (Administration tab):

SystemSettingsAddOnManagement

It might be useful to know that you can quickly browse through the list of add-ons and activate them using the arrow keys and the "Space bar" key.

With the way add-ons now work we might also be able to implement the multi-selection of add-ons which we couldn't do before. We'll look into this possibility and keep you updated on the results.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

SystemSettingsAddOnManagement.png
Clock4 mths

Thanks Michaël,

That looks very promising !

Will this new feature make sure that the add-ons are available for ALL users of RDM, without for them to manually install the add-ons ?

Clock4 mths

Hello Ron,

That is correct. With the new way add-ons work, they are all already installed along with RDM (no more manual installs). To have access to them you simply have to "Activate" the ones you wish to use in the "Add-On manager".

With this new data source wide feature, it will make it so all users automatically have the selected add-ons as "Activated" by default in their local Add-On manager.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths