Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Bug Report

Launcher: Protocol error on RDP connection

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Support,

When we try to connect to a RDS (admin session) server (member of a RDS cluster) we are getting a protocol error.
"Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again."

I've found the same error for RDM. (https://forum.devolutions.net/topic24664-protocol-error-for-rdp-sessions.aspx)
But it always happens, even when no other sessions are open. (and their isn't a 64bit launcher)

We allready tried to change the RDP version, but without success.

Some time, (1 out of 100 I guess,) the connection succeeds.

When using the normal RDP client to connect to the server with default settings every works fine.

Kinds regards,

Hans Vos

Clock3 mths

Hello Hans,

Which version of RDM are you using? If you are using the enterprise edition of RDM please confirm you use C:\Program Files (x86)\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\RemoteDesktopManager64.exe

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello David,

None, we are using the Launcher with the password server.

We don't use the RDM.

Kind reagards,

Hans Vos

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Could you please record logs in the settings window and try to connect again on the RDP connection. After receiving the error please send us the logs at ticket@devolutions.net

launcher+log

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

launcher_log.png
Clock3 mths

Hi David,

I've reproduced the error and sent the log file to support.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Clock3 mths

Hello Hans,

I had a chat with the engineering department and the issue seems to be present for the X86 system. Could you details if you are running a 32-bit Windows?

That being said, Microsoft mentioned that disabling Visual Style and Bitmap could help. Directly on the RDP session could you Disable Visual styles and Persistent bitmap caching. Then try again on Launcher as the only session open.

RDP+visual+bitmap

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

RDP_visual_bitmap.png
Clock3 mths

Hello David,
We are all using a 64-bit machine with 64 bit Windows.
The launcher is 32bit only, maybe that's causing the issue ?

We have disabled both options but the problem still exsists.
All my collegues do have the same issue.
It looks like it only happens when we are trying to connect to a RDS server in a cluster.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Clock3 mths

Hello Hans,

Launcher will run base on your OS, so because you are running a 64-bit Windows, the dll used are 64 bit.

That being said, the error is strange because I saw it only in Active-X 32 bit.

For this RDS Server, could you test theses steps please:
# Go in the properties of the session
# Scroll down up to Advanced section and expand it
# for RDP Version 7 replace the Latest value by RDP (FreeRDP 7.0)

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello David,

Changed it but still the same error.

Other RDP tool (mRemoteNG) works fine with the default settings.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Thanks for the test we will investigate on our side and we will try to reproduce the issue.

Could you, by private message or via ticket@devolutions.net send us the specification of your RDS cluster? Windows Version, number of servers in the cluster, if any specific configuration.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Mail sent.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Clock3 mths

Hi Grandolfo,

An interesting observation.
When using remote desktop manager we can open an RDP connection to the server.

Then using password server and launcher we can re-connect the currently open session from RDM.
If we close launcher and then re-connect via launcher the session to the server is re-established.

If we log off from the server within launcher and then re-connect using launcher the connection fails with protocol error.

Clock3 mths

Hello M. Lammers,

Thanks for this observation, I give it to the engineering department for further analysis.

We will update this thread as soon as we have further detail.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths