Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Can't get offline R/W working and can't online an offline datasource

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We are using an azure database as datasource, but I can't get offline read/write working. The "Group policy" settings and the "User settings" under data source information show read/write, but I can't get the "Data source settings" correct, and it seems I have no idea where to find it.
Can someone guide me in the correct direction?

Also while trying to get the offline read/write working, I noticed that it wasn't possible to online the datasource after putting it in offline mode manually. Same thing when disconnecting, and and reconnecting the network, the database's put offline correctly, but won't come back by itself, nor can it be put online manually. Shutting down the program and restarting will bring the datasource online. I can't find any setting or specific reason for this.
Again, any clues or assistance would be welcome.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

What version of RDM are you running?

What type of authentication are you using to authenticate on your SQL Azure data source?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

We started with 2019.1.19.0, I updated to 2019.1.25 yesterday, and I just updated to 2019.1.30, all have the same issue.

We're using AD password authentication. (planning to go to interactive with MFA later, but not being used so far)

On the on/offline database issue:

When trying to reconnect, there is a pop-up "The data source is offline."
Testing the connection to the database while offline works fine.

And I also just noticed that just opening and closing the "Data Sources" window causes the offline data source to come online.

Thanks,

Clock5 mths

Hello,

While online, could you go in File -> My Data Source Information and post a screenshot of that report please?

When you are in offline mode and that you would like to go back online, you would need to click on the earth button at the bottom right of RDM or to click on File -> Go Online.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Screenshot attached.

Both file > Go online
and Dashboard (of my data source) > Actions > Go online
give the same result: "The data source is offline."

Dashboard (of my data source) > Actions > Data Sources
Then just press OK, no changes, and the data source is online again.

RDM.PNG
Clock5 mths

Hello,

Could you go in Administration -> System Settings -> Applications -> Offline and select Read/Write in the dropdown menu of the Offline mode option.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

When I click system settings, my Data Source goes offline, and nothing else happens.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

The issue is strange, it seems that RDM doesn't have good communication with Azure. Could you go in File > Data Source and edit the Azure data source, under Settings uncheck Auto go Offline.

auto+go+offline

That being said, is the issue also occurs for others of your colleagues?

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

auto_go_offline.png
Clock5 mths

When I disable the auto-go offline option, then try to open the system settings
I get a yes/no pop-up with:
"The data source is offline.
Do you want to connect in offline mode"

Yes: the data source goes offline, nothing else happens.
No: I get the pop-up "The data source is offline." (But the data source stays online)

The offline issue happens identically with colleagues as well.
Currently I'm the only admin, so I can't test the system settings elsewhere

Clock5 mths

Additional info, it says I'm not a system administrator in the system diagnostics.
No idea where I would need to modify this, but it might be related to the issues.

RDM2.PNG
Clock5 mths

Hello,

The issue is strange, I think they might have a lag between RDM and Azure. Could we schedule a remote session?

I will send you per email a link to look at the error with you.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello Jelle,

Base on the session you had with my colleague Mark, we found that the Offline Datasource issue you are getting is caused by the Ping online method configuration. When set to Ping it will cause the offline issue. The current workaround is to set it to None.

This is the wrong confguration
azure+datasource+ping

I opened a ticket with the engineering department.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

azure_datasource_ping.png
Clock3 mths