Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

Embedded VNC: Unable to highlight text on the default text editor.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

using the embedded VNC viewer I'm not able to highlight text on the default text editor of my Linux distribution.

If i open a text file with the default text editor and try to select some text, the focus on the already selected text is lost randomly.

This occurs very frequent both if I'm selecting the text with the mouse (click and select) or with the keyboard (SHIFT and arrow key).

Using the embedded VNC viewer i have this problem with different VNC servers (TigerVNC and RealVNC) and different desktop environment (LXDE and MATE).

I don't have this problem with others VNC viewer, like UltraVNC.

The following GIF show the described problem for 3 different machine and desktop environment; in every test first i tried to select text with the keyboard, then with the mouse (a yellow dot appears when the mouse left button is clicked).

- Ubuntu 18.04.2 with MATE desktop environment and TigerVNC server:

https://ibb.co/nrzw8wK

- Ubuntu 16.04.5 with LXDE desktop environment and TigerVNC server:

https://ibb.co/C1bgBKb

- Raspbian April 2019 Update with PIXEL desktop environment and RealVNC server:

https://ibb.co/zmpV7Vc

Regards.

Clock5 mths

Hello,
I will assign this to one of our dev for investigation.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

I've tried to replicate your issue on what I have available but, unfortunately, was not able.
My setup does not match yours so I've ask your IT department to build a server as close to your specs as possible.
That being said, would it be possible for you to provide a restricted access to one of your server?
That might be the easiest way to me to replicate your issue.

Regards

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello,

i'm using RDM for personal use on my private servers.

Unfortunately i can't provide you with a test server; i can try to replicate my setup on a linux virtual machine and share that virtual machine with you, but i can only to it in my spare time so it will take a while.

Regards.

Clock5 mths

I'll take you up on that vm offer.
If we are able to reproduce your issue before you have time to work on a vm, I'll let you know.

Regards

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello,

i was able to reproduce all the three issue i have found so far, that is:

a) Embedded VNC: Unable to highlight text on the default text editor: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic32003-embedded-vnc-unable-to-highlight-text-on-the-default-text-editor.aspx
b) Embedded VNC: Unable to type special character which require pressing ALT+KEY: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic31924-embedded-vnc-unable-to-type-special-character-which-require-pressing-a.aspx
c) Embedded VNC and Mate environment: Stuck on the first connection if screen is locked: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic31904-embedded-vnc-and-mate-environment-stuck-on-the-first-connection-if-scr.aspx

in a Virtual Box 6.0.8 Virtual Machine with Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2 and TigerVNC server 1.7.0; the virtual machine is configured to use a Bridge Network Adapater, so you have to change the name of the physical network adapter you want to bridge in the VM network setting page.

This is necessary to allow LAN connections to the virtual machine.

To replicate problem a) and b) you have to:

1.1) Start the virtual machine, the login password is "test" (without quotes);
1.2) In the virtual machine, read the ip assigned by your router to the virtual machine;
1.3) In the virtual machine, open the terminal and start the VNC server with the command: vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1920x1080 -localhost no -SecurityTypes VncAuth :55 (you can find it in the last used commands by pressing the UP key in the terminal);
1.4) Open RDM and configure an embedded VNC session with the ip read in point 1.2), port equal to 5955, and VNC password equal to test12;
1.5) Start the VNC session and inside that session, open the text editor and try to select some text or write some special characters (you can check also that with the embedded UltraVNC viewer there is no problem at all).

Problem c) is not always present like in my server, but with some patience you can recreate it by doing this:

2.1) Start the virtual machine, the login password is "test" (without quotes);
2.2) In the virtual machine, read the ip assigned by your router to the virtual machine;
2.3) In the virtual machine, open the terminal and start the VNC server with the command: vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1920x1080 -localhost no -SecurityTypes VncAuth :55 (you can find it in the last used commands by pressing the UP key in the terminal);
2.4) Open RDM and configure an embedded VNC session with the ip read in point 2.2), port equal to 5955, and VNC password equal to test12;
2.5) Start the VNC session and inside that session, lock the screen using the button on the top of the screen;
2.6) If the login field doesn't appears it mean that the bug has been recreated, if not proceed with the following points;
2.7) In the virtual machine, open the terminal and kill the VNC server with the command: vncserver -kill :55 (you can find it in the last used commands pressing the UP key in the terminal);
2.8) In the virtual machine, open the terminal and start the VNC server with the command: vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1920x1080 -localhost no -SecurityTypes VncAuth :55 (you can find it in the last used commands by pressing the UP key in the terminal);
2.9) Start the VNC session and inside that session, lock the screen using the button on the top of the screen;
2.10) If the login field doesn't appears it mean that the bug has been recreated, if not redo step 2.7), 2.8), 2.9), 2.10) (in my test the problem occurs after a few try);

The virtual machine image is a 1.6GB compressed file (15GB decompressed); how do you want me to send it to you (file sharing site, FTP, etc.)?

Let me know if you have any problem recreating the above bugs.

Regards.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Thank you for your cooperation!

Please use the sharefile link below to send us these files:
https://devolutions.sharefile.com/filedrop

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello,

file uploaded (Ubuntu Mate.7z).

Regards.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Thank you for your file! It has been provided to our engineering department.
We will contact you as soon as we will have more information on that matter!

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the vm with us.
I was able to reproduce 2 of your issues and fix them.
Point 'a' and 'b' should now be working properly.

I was not able to reproduce point 'c' but fixes for text selection might have fixed this point too.
If you still encounter problems when the screen is locked, let me know.

A beta version that hopefully solves your issues should be available our website later today.

Regards

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi,

i can confirm that all the problems (a & b & c) are solved in the latest version.

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards.

Clock4 mths