Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Black screen when connecting to virtualized Mac via ARD

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
I am using VMWare Fusion 11 to virtualize several MacOS 10.14.5 instances.
I can connect to desktops of those virtual machines using Apple Screen Sharing with no issues if I connect from a Mac.

However, when I try to set up a connection from Windows via ARD then all I get is a black screen. The connection seems to be established (when I rightclick mouse then the user of the distant VM reports that the context menu opens etc.) but there is just black screen rendered.

If I use the same setup to connect to the physical Mac with the same MacOS version then everything goes smoothly and I can see everything. So it see that the virtualized Mac is not handled well.

When I try to connect via VNC instead of ARD then I can connect even to the virtualized Mac but the performance is rather rubber-ish and the machine is not available in thumbnail view etc... so I would really like to get the ARD working if possible. Please advise.

Thank you!

Clock2 mths

Hello,

What version of RDM are you running?

What type of data source are you using?

Is there something relevant in Help -> Application Logs?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi Jeff,

RDM version is 2019.1.29.0 64-bit.

I am not sure what you mean by "what type of data source are you using" question - I have installed the product for the first time yesterday to find out its capabilities. And I am a slow learner. smile Here is what I did:

1. Rightclick in the Navigation pane
2. Choose "New entry"
3. Choose "Apple Remote Desktop (ARD)"
4. Set name to "Apple01ARD"
5. Set host to IP address of the computer
6. Set username and password and click "OK"
7. Rightclick on the machine in the navigation pane and choose "Open session"
8. And all I can see is just a black screen as described before (and as mentioned, the connection seems to be established because my blind clicks inside the black screen are registered)

I reproduced the problem freshly today and the only today record in the "Application Logs" section is this:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Devolutions.Ard.ARDNativeAPI.CheckEventHandles(IntPtr context)
at Devolutions.Ard.ArdCustomControl.UpdateProcess()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I also tried to play with the "Share the display" versus "Connect to a virtual display" radiobuttons but no luck.

Thanks for checking!

Michal

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Could you provide us more information's on the Mac computer, like is it an iMAC or Macbook, which size, ect...?

What is the resolution of your screen on the mac computer?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello, as stated before, the Mac is virtualized using VMware Fusion. The configuration of the physical host is irrelevant at this case (I am using MacPro 2013 with 6-core Xeon and some Radeon graphics) but it does not matter, I tried multiple hosts (just to be sure) and it is always reproducible regardless the HW cfg.

You can reproduce this problem yourself as well - you can download a trial version of VMware Fusion and run it on any Mac you have at your disposal - all you need to do is to create a virtual machine and try to connect to it.

I would be happy to provide all the information required but I believe this would be the most efficient way to debug RDM functionality with virtualized MacOS.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We will try to configure this in our environment and perform some tests.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We have been able to install/configure VMWare Fusion in our environment. We have created 1 Mac VM with all the default settings.
From RDM, we have been able to establish the connection properly.

That being said, are you using any specific configuration in VMWare Fusion that could help us reproduce the blackscreen issue internally?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi Jeff,
thank you for your efforts you put in this!
I have done some testing to find out more.
You are right - if I perform a clean, vanilla installation of macOS then I can connect to the virtualized MacOS.
However, whenever virtualizing anything with VMware there is a need to install also "VMware guest additions" - this toolset vastly enriches the way you can work with the virtual machine and among other things it also boosts considerably the GUI by using optimized video driver.

Installation of the guest additions is easy, just launch the virtual machine and from the VMware Fusion menu select "Virtual Machine - install VMware Tools". Installation ISO will get inserted to the virtual DVD drive and the installation wizard inside the virtual machine is launched. During installation you will be prompted to allow some security access conditions (and also after a first restart).

After I installed this, I was no longer able to connect to the Virtual Machine using ARD (via RDM only - if I try to use ARD from another Mac then it works fine).
Unfortunately the vmware tools is a critical package to be installed as without it the system is barely usable.

Hopefully this helps you to reproduce the problem. Cheers!

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We have not been able to reproduce in our environment with the following configuration

Macbook Pro with 10.14
VM = OSX 10.13

Would it be possible for you to send us a vanilla VM that you can reproduce the issue on it so that we can reproduce it internally?
The session could be sent via Sharefile at https://devolutions.sharefile.com/share/filedrop

Thank you very much for your help!

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello, I have zipped and uploaded the VM. admin password is "aaaa".
To unzip the VM you may need a tool like iZip because the built-in Apple Archiver fails with work with big archives.
Thank you!

Clock1 mth

Hello,

The VM has been received and transmitted to our engineering department.

Thank you!

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock1 mth

Hello,

Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce the issue with the VM that you've sent us.

In RDM Windows, could you go in File -> Options -> Types -> Others and check the option Enable Logging for ARD and VNC.
Then, reproduce the issue and send us the logs please.

Thank you very much for your collaboration regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock1 mth

Hello there,
First of all I have updated the app to the latest available version just offered.
Then I enabled the log as suggested.
Then I reproduced the issue (black screen but the mouse actions are performed inside VM) and exited the RDM.
The log file is over 800MB so I zipped it and here it is. Hopefully this will help. Thank you for your persistence! smile

ARDLog.zip
Clock28 days

Hello,

The logs has been transmitted to the engineering department.

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock27 days

Hello,

After discussion with the engineering department, in the logs, we see that images are sent to RDM. Of course, we are not able to see them because it's encrypted.

That being said, the issue could be the code we use for the image. In the ARD session under the Advanced tab, please change the Preferred encoding to Zlib.

ARD+codec

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

ARD_codec.png
Clock24 days

Hi David,
this did it! Changing to ZLIB made it work. It was a bit choppy experience but after some tuning of the VM (disabling transparency in "Accessibility" settings of macOS etc.) it works pretty well. Thank you for your patience and help smile

Clock21 days

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock20 days