Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

VMware Synchronizer

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello, I am new around here and have a question. I searched the forums, but could not see anything. So I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I'm been going back and forth with support, but figured I would ask the community.

I'm trying out the VMware Synchronizer. I am able to pull in our VMs from vCenter into RDM as a rdp sessions. That part works great. But what I am struggling with is that we group our servers in sub-folder in RDM for easier management. Every time the synchronizer refreshes, it imports the VMs again, and in the settings if I set the "Action on entry mismatch" to delete, it will delete the old session (that has been placed into a sub-folder) and not the newly import session (which it places in the root directory).

I'm fine with VMs not automatically being placed into the appropriate sub-folder (but that would be an awesome feature). I just don't want it to undo all the manual work every time it is refreshed.

Has anybody had any experience with this? My team and I have been using the free edition for about 8 years now and we love the product. I'd love to purchase the enterprise version for my guys and support the devs, but I need this tricky scenario figured out. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Clock6 mths

Hello,

Thank you for your great feedback! We are glad that you like our product.

I just updated the ticket you had with us on that matter as I am writing this. As mentioned in the ticket, a feature request has been added to the to do list of our engineering department in order to add the same "Duplicate Check" available for the Active Directory Synchronizer in the VMware Synchronizer entry type.

As soon as I will have more information on that matter, I will contact you using the ticket Devo-4025 and update this forum topic as well.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Thank you very much. I appreciate you looking into this.

Clock6 mths

Hello,

This feature has been completed internally and should be available starting from RDM 2019.1.31.0.

To make sure your synchronizer takes into account entries which were moved to folders outside of the destination folder, you will need to set the new "Duplicate check" option to "Root". If you want the behavior to work like it did previously, you will need to set the option to "Destiination folder".

DuplicateCheckVMWare

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

DuplicateCheckVMWare.png
Clock6 mths

Really appreciate you guys working on this. You listened and came up with a resolution in a very short matter of time. That is awesome customer service.

May I give one more potential suggestion? When importing from vCenter with the Synchronizer, you can only import sessions as RDP, VMware Console, or PowerCLI. Which is all fine. 90% of our VMs are Windows, so we have our synchronizer set to import as RDP by default. But if I manually change a non Windows VM to use SSH as the session connection method, when the synchronizer refreshes, it will delete the SSH session configuration and replace it with a RDP one. So my question is, when the synchronizer does the duplicate check, can it only check against the host name, not host name and session type?

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Ignoring the session type when doing the comparison is something we should be able to do. I will open a ticket for this feature and keep you updated on the progress.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello,

This feature has been completed internally and should be available starting from RDM 2019.1.42.0

IgnoreEntryType

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

IgnoreEntryType.png
Clock4 mths