Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Allow roles to be renamed without folder/entries losing association with them

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi guys,

At the moment we are re organising RDM completely and the roles we have in mind now may not necessarily have the most right name from the beginning. As I understand, the moment you rename a role the entries that were using that role will not be updated automatically to use the new role name.

I think that should not be the case, if you rename credentials on a repository and/or move them to a different folder, the entry will have the new name/location for that credential repository, right?

Why that cannot be done to roles as well?

Thanks

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Does the PowerShell script in the following forum topic could fulfill what you want to achieve about renaming a role?
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic29716-renaming-a-role-and-update-permissions.aspx

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi Erica,

In theory yes, but I could not run the PS script. I made it a ps1 file and tried to run, tried to paste on powershell ISE and run, also no joy. Would you mind to point me in the right direction here?

Clock2 mths

Hello,

What error do you get when you run the PowerShell script?

Have you adapted the data source name in the script so it will open your RDM data source?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Sorry I thought that the variables were looking for something that was renamed and then update that info across the board. It was not stated I had to replace them with the group names. I'll need to test that.

Should I simply get that script and make it a ps1 file and run?

Clock2 mths

Hello,

In fact, you can save that script in a .ps1 file, then load it like a PowerShell module and then call the Rename-Role function like the following to rename a role in your data source.

Rename-Role "MyOldRoleName" "MyNewRoleName" "MyDataSourceName" $true

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Perfect, it worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion loading it as a module, make it way more dynamic to make changes to several roles smile

Clock2 mths