Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Browser session fails with connection error (-1004)

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I configured a browser session with basic authentication, which fails when using: "Open Session", it works when it's started external.

Where can i find information, what -1004 could mean?

A forum search for 1004 does not give any result. Is there a way to search by error number?

Clock7 mths

Hello,

Which browser have you selected? IE or Chrome?

Is this a public URL? If yes, could you provide us the URL so that we can test it.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Because it is embedded, it seems to use safari (im on a Mac). I did not actively select a browser, because there is nothing to select.

It is a url in our intranet, but im connected to the corporate vpn and can access that page.

Clock7 mths

Hello,

Thank you for your time on our chat today!

Unfortunately, since you are using a Private URL to connect to your website, we won't be able to test it on our end.
For this reason, the best course of action is to launch your Web Browser entry in external mode instead.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi,

We are using a component of the macOS Cocoa framework called WebView to display embedded web pages. The error is in its loading of the WebRequest. As James said, without access to the website, it's going to be hard to reproduce and fix.

Do you know if without passing through a VPN (so, directly in your office), you would be able to open the page properly through the embedded Web Browser session? If so, maybe your VPN somehow exclude some applications? Or only include some?

The -1004 error is a CannotConnectToHost error, which you can see here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/1508628-url_loading_system_error_codes/nsurlerrorcannotconnecttohost?language=objc

As described in the previous link, it usually occurs if an host could be resolved but not reached (being down or refusing connection on a port). For instance, I can produce this error by trying a connection to the local host (127.0.0.1) on a random port (e.g. http://127.0.0.1:3625/).

I'll log the issue and see if I can reproduce, let's say by using a VPN. What VPN software/service are you using?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

It has nothing to do with the vpn, this blocks nothing. I fear you are using your own dns (not the system dns) which then will be unable to resolve the hostname or some external proxy. All applications (safari, chrome, terminal) can connect to that host+port

We are using cisco anyconnect, but this is not configured in Remote Desktop Manager, it is just connected, before i try to open the urls. It is perfectly working "Open (External)" but not "Open Session)

Clock7 mths

Hi,

I've made a minimalist version of our embedded browser with only the error handling in it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/91s1j2dutcyobun/webviewtest.app.zip?dl=0

Can you try to load your page in it? You'll need to authorize it through Gatekeeper (Security & Privacy -> General) for it to launch.

If we are doing anything related to the DNS with our embedded browser, I am not aware of it. I'd assume the WebKit WebView use the same DNS as Safari. I'll admit I could be wrong though. This small application will confirm if the issue is in the WebView itself.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths