Forum / Wayk Now - Support

The target hostname could not be resolved

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Whats going on... pls every time can't use this software.

My wayknow client... green dot.. customer site... green dot.. I try log in and can't.

Logs from both sides as attachment.

WaykNow_me.log
WaykNow_customer.log
Clock3 mths

Hi

"The target hostname could not be resolved" - this means that the address couldn't be resolved to a machine, similar to a failed DNS lookup.

The logs you sent are both the same - they look like they are both the customer side log?

Did you install Wayk Now with the .msi on the customer side, or the standalone .exe?

Thanks,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

My bad... I attached wrong logs as "my log".

New one.

BTW there's time mismatch..

[2019-05-31] [17:19:20:049]

vs

[2019-05-31] [16:37:08:447]

but trust me I did try connect my customer at the same time.. I copy&paste from whole logs but when I try connect to my customer he have opened wayknow client.

WaykNow_me.log
Clock3 mths

Hello

No worries, it's an easy mistake to make.

Can you validate the target ID you're connecting on?

The log shows that you are connecting to a different target ID than the one registered for the customer machine. The one reported by the log is 890880.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

One more hint.. this user have wayknow in unattended mode installed, but I didn't have ID thats why he open wayknow client.

Clock3 mths

I still try resolve some issue at customer site, but I make short break and I sent you logs again.

The same time, logs from customer and my site... at my client the same issue.. I did try from wayknow client and from RDM - the same info.

WaykNow_customer.log
WaykNow_me.log
Clock3 mths

Hello

If you still have access on the customers machine, the log file from the service would be greatly helpful. From an elevated command prompt:

net stop wayknowservice
wayk-now config --global logginglevel 1
net start wayknow service

And then sharing the log file from %PROGRAMDATA%\Wayk\Logs.

Thank you,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Do I cancel my post? I don't see it... I'll write again.

After service restart I can now connect to my customer when I use waynow client - at customer site only service work.

When I tr use wayknow session from my RDM I get error - Connectcore failed:

Logs at attachment.

NowService.log
Clock3 mths

Hello again

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that worked for you.

It seems that the service was in a state were it was unable to serve connections. Unfortunately, we don't currently have a good indicator in the client UI when there is an issue with the service, so everything can appear normal (the "green dot"). The only way to see what is happening underneath is through the log file - but enabling the logging requires restarting the service, which can (as in this case) clear whatever the error condition was.

Is it possible to leave the logging enabled, and if this state arrises again it the conditions will be logged? The Debug level (1) log should not grow too large.

I know you said at the customer site only the .msi / service works - do you know the reason for that?

Thanks once again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

[...]Is it possible to leave the logging enabled, [...]

I can turn in on at all my customers (for future debug if any problems occur) if it doesn't have any negative impact at customers computers or waknow service.

[...] I know you said at the customer site only the .msi / service works - do you know the reason for that? [...]

I mean... I can connect at customer site only from MY waynow client.. when I did try RDM wayknow sessions I get error: Connectcore failed:

At evening I restarted client computer and make connection from my wayknow client and from RDM wayknow sessions.
Everything was fine but image was bad quality, so I end RDM session and change quality mode at "high" and another problems starts again.

First.. my RDM waynow sessions show me that errors: (edit: attachment added)

so I check my wayknow client and it stuck at connecting... no error, no any info.. I waited 1-2 min and cancel connection, cus nothing happen.

I did try few times, but all the time the same error. I open my tightvnc sessions and cpu was used at 100% and computer almost stop response.
(edit: attachment added)

I don't well remember when it was but i get one more error : Channel subsystem errors

I kill all NowSession process but stil no possibility connect from my wayknow client and from RDM.

Because I've VPN connection at customer network I did try connect direct at IP address - so I check my wayknow client and it gave me error: "The TLS handshake could not be completed" - RDM error like above.
I restart my RDM program... nothing.. restart my computer.. nothing.. even when I change in RDM session mode quality..

Solution was restart customer computer again.. (servis restart doesn't help)

I did make all tests about 11PM you've logs from customer site as attachment.

NowService.log
NowSession.png
rmd_error.png
Clock3 mths

Can you check in log files if my connection was direct or not?

Work with tightvnc is more fluent, no lag input etc. The same about image quality.. even with quality mode high it's look worse upset
I attached two screenshoots - from RDM and from TightVNC.

ps.
did you see what I wrote few posts before "Do I cancel my post? I don't see it... I'll write again."
I know whats going on.. I have this again.. I don't know if a forum bug or a feature, but... I can tell when it's happen.

I start replay at my post here.. write some info.. mean time I connect my customer at VPN.. my external IP address change..
I'm still in edit post here.. add more info about some issue and push quick replay button.. forum tell me that post will be placed... but it's not.. my post is not placed at forum and it disappeared.

quality mode high.jpg
tightvnc.png
Clock3 mths

Hello again

Thanks for the detailed feedback. It's very valuable. I will try and break my response down to cover everything, but if something is not clear or I missed something, please let me know.

First, for the RDM error - I'm not able to see the screenshot you attached. I suppose that a Connectcore error can be many different things; does the error include a stack trace or other debugging information? Otherwise I will query the RDM team for how we can debug that.

For the issues connecting with the Wayk Now client; I have taken a look through the logs and I see some direct connections via IP address (I guess over your VPN), some peer-to-peer connections and some peer-to-peer connections using our TCP relay server.

The issues you are seeing and lack of reliability are definitely not the norm. Based on your description of the issues and the information from the log files, I think I have some idea what is going on - this is the most important point - does your client run any kind of third-party anti-virus or security software? If so, can I know the name of the solution they are using? smile

Continuing to gather log information is helpful; and there shouldn't be a negative impact from leaving logging enabled. The only possible issue can be if the log file grows too large; but this will take a very long time at the DEBUG level.

One other data point that can be useful in this situation is the NowSession.exe log file. NowSession errors are automatically logged without needing to configure anything, and can be found in %tempdir% (so, normally C:\Window\temp\NowSession.log).

Next, for the image quality and capture performance: can you let me know what codec you have selected in Options > Performance? What about the machines you are connecting to - do you know the Windows version (generally)? Do they use a HiDPI / scaled display?

We recently added the GFWX codec which should give better performance and quality than the old JPEG-based codec. We're also working right now on improvements to our capture code on Windows, which will take better advantage of hardware acceleration, especially on scaled displays - but those improvements are largely limited to Windows 8+.

Generally from examining your screenshots, I would say that the actual images (in this case, icons) appear better in Wayk Now, but I would certainly agree that the text rendering looks better in VNC. This can certainly be affected by the codec used and I'd encourage you to try GFWX if you don't already have that option selected.

Last of all, regarding the forum: there were some recent security updates to the forum software, and I have also noticed issues with posting replies. I already raised that internally, but I will show the web team your post and write back here when there is some news on that. In the meantime, I have been composing more complicated replies in Notepad and then copy-pasting to the forum, so I can easily retry my post if it doesn't show up.

Thanks again for the detailed information, it is very helpful

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

[...]I'm not able to see the screenshot you attached.[...]
I edit my earlier post, and added attachments.

[...]does your client run any kind of third-party anti-virus or security software?[...]
Nop... only Windows Defender.

I just wanna download NowSession.log file... and again error from my topic.. hostname could not be resolved. I'll use vnc for logs download.

Ok, files downloaded. Up time is from my last restart... I found wayknow client icon at try. It starts every time even if I use unattended access and left when I end session.

As an attachments I added NowService.log

After that I restart service manually.

Now I can do connection from RDM and from wayknow client using cloud ID.

I play little bit GFWX codec. I switch at my side at RDM quality mode at high, but image wasn't fine.. performance was fine here!
I open wayknow client and change at my side performance at high, and preferred codec GFWX.

When I open session quality was fine! Text looks like at vnc.. but performance was bad.. again input lag upset

So I back to my RDM and change for that session - General > Display > (from default Tabbed) at Udocked.
The same result.. bad image quality and response time.
I change at External.. and can't authorize?! I've saved SRD authentication , but my wayknow client (it was opened for connection) don't allow me authenticate.
I back with setting to Embedded (tabbed) and... RDM after ~5s was closed! Not session.. whole program.
Open it again, and try connecting but it gave me error with trace like from screenshots. (updated post)

Holy **** a lot of troubleshooting here upset

I did service restart at customer side and still can't use RDM.. Connectcore filed info. Hmm I need restart my computer?!
Wayknow client work fine. Image quality fine, input lag high.

I downloaded servicelog again.

Ok, let's back to your post.

[...]This can certainly be affected by the codec used and I'd encourage you to try GFWX if you don't already have that option selected[...]
When Wayknow use GFWX and when not? Do I need setup it at customer site? My site? Both? What happen when I'll have GFWX at my site and AUTO at customer?

[...]Do they use a HiDPI / scaled display[...]
No. 1920x1080 - scaling is setup at 100% at desktop properties. This computer doesn't have even monitor connected...
Windows 10 home build 1809.

NowService.log
NowService_log2.log
Clock3 mths

Hello again

Thanks for the detailed followup. I understand the frustration in troubleshooting this, and appreciate your help. The issues on your customer side are definitely not normal and we'd really like to understand that.

I'm not sure about the `ConnectCore` error on RDM; but the full error message is useful and I've raised that internally to see if it's a known problem or something else. I think that someone on the RDM team will be able to provide insight there. I suspect that this is a client-side / RDM issue and unrelated to what is happening on the server.

What is the version of RDM you have? You can check it under Hep > About.

The codec is negotiated with the server. On the client side, you choose the codec you "prefer" and that will be used if available, otherwise the client and server will negotiate on something they both support. GFWX is available on Windows server, so if you select that in your client options, that is what will be used. It sounds like the GFWX / high quality combination gives good image and text quality, but performance is laggy.

If the remote display is at 100% scaling, then performance issues (lag) are unlikely to be related to the capture.

I am working on improvements to the Windows capture right now; I'll raise this internally with the codec guys as well as perform my own analysis on where the bottlenecks might be here.

My biggest concern is the reliability issues you're seeing with the service. It seems like you try to connect using the Wayk ID but receive the "hostname could not be resolved" message, despite the remote system showing that it is connected to Wayk Den? And restarting the service or rebooting the machine is enough to "fix" this for some time?

Is there anything at your client site that could be disrupting the connection to Wayk Den? Hard or software firewalls or proxies? The connection to Wayk Den is over port 443 using secure WebSockets. It's designed to appear like HTTPS, except it is a stateful protocol.

Is this the same client where you were experiencing issues connecting to Wayk Den (https://forum.devolutions.net/topic31893-i-cant-connect-to-wayk-den-servers.aspx)?

Can you generate a system report from the client machine? The steps are:

- Open the "Run" dialog (Win + R)
- Run "msinfo32"
- Let the system report generate, and then "Save" it (as a .nfo)

You can send the saved system report to us at support@devolutions.net, or attach it to me as a private message.

One more thing - our web team identified an issue in the forum software that may have been causing your earlier issue. Please let me know if you still see a problem.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

RDM version 2019.1.20.0 64bit

[...] It seems like you try to connect using the Wayk ID but receive the "hostname could not be resolved" message, despite the remote system showing that it is connected to Wayk Den?[...]

Yes it's looks exactly how you describe it.. i SHOULD have possibility to log in.. vnc session always works.. i know I user direct connection in this situation, but even if I try use wayknow client and log in at ip address not Wayk ID it's not possible. For some reason service stop response.

I've Ubiquity network equipment at customer site.. switches/routers nothing special... typical configuration.
I can add those specified ip address to white list just for sure...

It's another client - not from Topic 31893

I just found solution for bad image quality.. when I turn off AUTO settings for scaling i've normal video quality, and awsome performance wihh RDM client.

Bad news is... I connect once.. and can't connect again.. RDM tell me.. connectcore failed.

I've better idea... more info at pm in a moment.

ps.
forum test.. i try send this msg when external ip changed in mean time.

Clock3 mths

forum works as intended wink

I didn't have so many new line between lines, but msg was placed smile

Clock3 mths

Hello

We're still looking into the service connection reliability problem you're having at this site. Thanks again for the offline assistance.

In the meantime, I wanted to circle back and update on some of the other things we spoke about

even if I try use wayknow client and log in at ip address not Wayk ID it's not possible. For some reason service stop response.

From our current analysis, I would expect it to work without going through Wayk Den. Can you check that port 4489 is unblocked and forwarded properly?

I found wayknow client icon at try. It starts every time even if I use unattended access and left when I end session.

The unattended service does launch the Wayk Now client when a user connects, and it remains running after the session is over. That's a known behaviour, we will likely change it in a future release but I can't say when that will be.

I turn off AUTO settings for scaling i've normal video quality, and awsome performance wihh RDM client.

That's good to know. I will have to check with the RDM team what they are using to scale the image if it is affecting performance badly...

With regard to codecs and image quality: GFWX compresses better at higher qualities, but is actually slower than JPEG. The "High" quality setting for either codec will perform badly if you don't have good enough conditions, and we would recommend for connections over the internet to use low or medium quality, and then compare between JPEG and GFWX.

I connect once.. and can't connect again.. RDM tell me.. connectcore failed.

I did raise this with the RDM team and they are looking into it.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have other questions or problems...

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

[...]From our current analysis, I would expect it to work without going through Wayk Den. Can you check that port 4489 is unblocked and forwarded properly?[...]

It's a direct connection.. I don't need check port forward. With VPN I'm in the same "local" network. I did a lot of possible testes and there is small chance that I check for example without VPN connection established... but at 99% im sure that I have right. BTW when everything is ok Im able connect direct at IP address so it's no port block etc. issue. I'll try check this again.

[...]The unattended service does launch the Wayk Now client when a user connects, and it remains running after the session is over[...]

And I got the filling that sometimes it's a some issue.. when I don't have icon at try, my first connect work.. when I back later.. I can't connect again for some reason and when I VNC to that host icon is at try. I don't remember situation when I can't connect, use VNC and icon wasn't there.
Or maybe I always see icon because I connect, end work.. disconnect.. in meantime something wrong happen with service and I can't connect again.. I don't know smile

Do we really need so good compression at now days? My customer have 300Mbit/300Mbit internet access.. I've 120Mbit/40Mbit.. at home, at office 600/600.. I would like to see option in setup "use as much bandwidth as you need, and I'll give you awesome quality and performance' wink

But yes.. sometimes I use LTE connection from road to support my client's but mostly I support them from office/home, so I would prefer good quality and performance.

[...]I did raise this with the RDM team and they are looking into it.[...]

Do I have to turn on some debug logs and gather logs for them? Again.. if it doesn't have any impact at RDM I can turn it on, because now I don't have what to send for them.

Clock3 mths

Hello again

I was able to reproduce the issue with the embedded Wayk Now in RDM; I notified the team responsible for that and they are implementing a fix.

For your knowledge; in RDM I went to Options > Tools > Wayk, and there you can configure the logging file path for Wayk Now embedded.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

I don't know what version do you have, but at my newest public build I don't have options like you.

In my case it was: Files > Options > Types > Wayk > an here you can setup log files.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

No - sorry - your way is correct. It was a typo from my ("Tools" instead of "Types") smile

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello

Sorry for the delay in looping back round to this thread.

Wayk Now 3.3.0 and higher contain fixes that we are confident will resolve the service reliability issues you were experiencing. If you update your systems and experience further issues, please let us know back in this thread.

Additionally, the "ConnectCore failed" issue with RDM has been fixed in the most recent update. Again, for further issues or questions, please let us know!

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock14 days