Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - PowerShell Repository

Warning on script with GUI first launch and slow performance

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

So I've made a script to create users in AD that utilizes GUI in order for my helpdesk to use it. Recently I decided to add some code for script to import data into RDM - basically credentials of said user (login, mail, password) and radmin connection (username as connection name and hostname).

However, upon first launch of script - RDM module throws this error https://i.imgur.com/5mszt23.png

Also it takes like 20 seconds to proceed a single user import and it's certainly RDM-import part, because once I remove this function - everything else takes less than a second. It's certainly because of Update-RDMUI function but if I remove it - it just creates empty credentials entry.

Here's code:

function fImportIntoRDM {
[string]$RDMgroup = "ScriptImported" #static folder name
[string]$RDMrecordname = $fullname #string, comes from GUI form
[string]$RDMusername = $login #string, comes from GUI form
[string]$RDMdomain = $emailaddress #string, comes from GUI form
[string]$RDMhostname = $hostnameTextBox.text #string, comes from GUI form
$RDMpassword = $randomizedpassword | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force

if (-not (Get-Module -Name "RemoteDesktopManager.PowerShellModule")) {
Import-Module "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\RemoteDesktopManager.PowerShellModule.psd1"
Update-RDMUI
Set-RDMCurrentDataSource -ID "202c12de-2530-4625-9132-89d9843c36f5"
}

if ($TSDCheckBox.Checked -eq $false) {
#NON-TSD => create folder, than create credential + radmin entries inside
#create folder for user
$RDMuserfolder = New-RDMSession -Type "Group" -Name $RDMrecordname -Group $RDMgroup
$RDMuserfolder.ImageName = "SampleUserBlue"
Set-RDMSession -Session $RDMuserfolder -Refresh

#create credential record type
$RDMuserCredentials = New-RDMSession -Host $RDMhostname -Type "Credential" -Name $RDMrecordname -Group $($RDMuserfolder.Group)
Set-RDMSession -Session $RDMuserCredentials
Update-RDMUI
Set-RDMSessionUsername -ID $RDMuserCredentials.ID $RDMusername
Set-RDMSessionDomain -ID $RDMuserCredentials.ID $RDMdomain
Set-RDMSessionPassword -ID $RDMuserCredentials.ID -Password $RDMpassword

if ($hostnameTextBox.text.Length -eq 0) { #if hostname is empty
$RDMrecordname += [string]" fill in hostname!" #add note that it's empty to radmin connection's name
}
#create radmin connection
$RDMcreateRadmin = New-RDMSession -Host $RDMhostname -Type "Radmin" -Name $RDMrecordname -Group $($RDMuserfolder.Group)
Set-RDMSession -Session $RDMcreateRadmin

}
else {
#TSD USER - ONLY CREDENTIALS WITHOUT FOLDER AND RADMIN
$RDMuserCredentials = New-RDMSession -Host $RDMhostname -Type "Credential" -Name $RDMrecordname -Group $RDMgroup
Update-RDMUI
Set-RDMSessionUsername -ID $RDMuserCredentials.ID $RDMusername
Set-RDMSessionPassword -ID $RDMuserCredentials.ID -Password $RDMpassword
}
}

Clock13 days

Hello,

What RDM version are you using?

What data source type are you connected to?
If it is Devolutions Password Server, what version are you using?

To help improving performances, please use the session variable instead of the session ID to set the username and password.
Here is a sample you could use :

$RDMuserCredentials = New-RDMSession -Host $RDMhostname -Type "Credential" -Name $RDMrecordname -Group $($RDMuserfolder.Group)
Set-RDMSessionUsername -Session $RDMuserCredentials $RDMusername
Set-RDMSessionDomain -Session $RDMuserCredentials $RDMdomain
Set-RDMSessionPassword -Session $RDMuserCredentials -Password $RDMpassword

And at the beginning of the script, please try the following to see if this will help to not get the AD_CreateUsers_v2.exe error. Not sure if it's related!
Please adapt the data source name in that portion of the script!

Import-Module "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\RemoteDesktopManager.PowerShellModule.psd1"
$ds = Get-RDMDataSource -Name "PutYourDataSourceNameHere"
Set-RDMCurrentDataSource $ds
Update-RDMUI
}

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock11 days

Hello, Erica, thank you for reply.
I don't remember exact version and can't check right now since it's at my work computer. It's 14.something and prior posting I made sure to try to update - said I don't need to because version is latest.
As for data source - it's mssql db.

I'll try your advises and reply back once I'll get back at my workplace.

Clock11 days

Good morning.

Erica Poirier wrote:

What RDM version are you using?

14.1.3.0 64bit

Erica Poirier wrote:

What data source type are you connected to?

It's SQLServer.

Erica Poirier wrote:

To help improving performances, please use the session variable instead of the session ID to set the username and password.
Here is a sample you could use :

Set-RDMSessionUsername -Session $RDMuserCredentials $RDMusername
Set-RDMSessionDomain -Session $RDMuserCredentials $RDMdomain
Set-RDMSessionPassword -Session $RDMuserCredentials -Password $RDMpassword

That doesn't work. New entry with "credential" type is created, it has correct name, but "inside" fields username, domain and password are empty and no warnings or errors in powershell. I made sure that $RDMusername, $RDMdomain and $RDMpassword variables are not empty, and have correct datatype - string for first 2 and securestring for password. It even doesn't work if I get rid of variables:
$RDMuserCredentials = New-RDMSession -Host "HostName" -Type "Credential" -Name "RecordName" -Group "ScriptImported"
Set-RDMSessionUsername -Session $RDMuserCredentials "username"
Set-RDMSessionPassword -Session $RDMuserCredentials -Password ("passw0rd" | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force )

Erica Poirier wrote:

And at the beginning of the script, please try the following to see if this will help to not get the AD_CreateUsers_v2.exe error. Not sure if it's related!
Please adapt the data source name in that portion of the script!
$ds = Get-RDMDataSource -Name "PutYourDataSourceNameHere"
Set-RDMCurrentDataSource $ds
Update-RDMUI
}

It doesn't help either. Not matter how I run my script - from compiled exe or just running *.ps1 from powershell ise x64 - I still get that warning every first launch (pic https://i.imgur.com/inGdaul.png). Everything works as intended afterwards, it's not in fact critical, just annoying.
I also found this topic from 2 years ago with similar issue on Deutch forums https://forum.devolutions.net/topic28230-rdm-module-und-eigene-powershell-gui.aspx however issue still persist.

Clock7 days

This actually suppresses this warning:

$ds = Get-RDMDataSource -Name "rdm" -WarningAction SilentlyContinue

Clock7 days

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and good catch about the -WarningAction switch.

I will check with the engineering team to know if they have another solution for your performance problem for the entry creatrion. I will keep you in touch once I will get some information about it.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock6 days