Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

VMware Remote Console / PowerCLI, Hyper-V on same system

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

For an RDM installation on a Windows 10 OS that already has Hyper-V enabled, if you try and install PowerCLi to get VMware Remote Console support for RDM, the PowerCLI installation will produce the following error:

PackageManagement\Install-Package : The following commands are already available on this system:'Export-VM,Get-Cluster,
Get-VM,Get-VMHost,Move-VM,New-Cluster,New-VM,Remove-Cluster,Remove-VM,Restart-VM,Set-VM,Set-VMHost,Start-VM,Stop-VM,Sus
pend-VM'. This module 'VMware.VimAutomation.Core' may override the existing commands. If you still want to install
this module 'VMware.VimAutomation.Core', use -AllowClobber parameter.

This is not an RDM issue but is due to the fact that Microsoft and VMware use the same commands. Given that this is RDM's methodology for a VMware remote console session, does Devolutions have any suggestions ? One of the posts in this thread https://communities.vmware.com/message/2786013#2786013 suggests a couple of workarounds but I'm not sure if this would help with RDM.

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I must first tell that I like this message. You found an issue but also guide us to a possible solution, thanks.

I will discuss the approach to use the fully qualified module name to avoid the name collision with the engineering department.

ex.: VMware.VimAutomation.Core\Get-VM

I inform you in the next steps.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi,

I had a chat with the engineering department. We are glad to announce that we are currently working of replacing PowerCLI. We will use our own SDK for Vmware Console and when launching VMRC. After this integration we will work on Vmware Synchronizer.

This feature should be released soon, please watch the release note at https://remotedesktopmanager.com/release-notes .

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

That's great David.

Another example of the outstanding support of RDM.

Clock4 mths

Hi,

Good news we released yesterday RDM 2019.1.20. The VMWare integration does not require PowerCLI anymore. You can download RDM at https://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/Download

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Thanks David,

I installed RDM 2019.1.20, created a new VMRC entry, entered the vCenter 6.0 name and the VM name. When I attempt to connect I get "The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created". The VCenter/VM names are good, my credentials are good and I can connect to this Vcenter using the RDM remote dashboard connection type.

Any thoughts ?

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Could you send us a print screen of the entry, I would have to look with the engineering department about this issue.

You can safely send us your information by email at ticket@devolutions.net .

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi David,

I submitted the screen shot and other supporting information last week. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Sam

Clock2 mths

Hello Sam,

We are currently analyzing your issue. In the mean time, you could try to change the display setting of the VMRC entry from "Embedded" to "External". We've added the embedded feature recently and it might be causing issues. You will have to enter the console type and VM Id/Name when you change that setting.

Also, if you could send us your application report to support, which can be found in Help->Applicaton Logs-> Report tab->Send to support. That would be helpful as well.

Regards,

Luc Fauvel

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

When I switch the display type to External it opens a PowerShell session and executes the "ConnectVIServer" command which fails. It looks like it is still using the PowerCLI methodology.

and I have now tried this on version 2019.1.21.0 as well .

Clock2 mths

Hi,

I just send you an email via our ticketing system, as soon as we found the solution I will post it here.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi,

After few tests we found that VMWare Remote Console entry is making errors when display modes are set to embedded. The workaround is to use the display mode as external.

The engineering department is working to solve the issue.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths