Forum / Wayk Now - Support

Channel subsystem failure

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I am evaluating Wayk Now and running 3.1.1 x64 on Windows 10 v1809. After installing the .msi I'm unable to establish a remote connection to the host. It always returns an error "Channel subsystem failure." I've confirmed the necessary ports are open in the Windows host firewall and even tried disabling the firewall all together, but the issue persists.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience.

Are you running any kind of anti virus software (excluding the standard Windows Defender)?

Thanks,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Yes, currently running Sophos Central.

Clock3 mths

Hello

To help us troubleshoot the issue, can you please capture a log from the server while reproducing the issue?

To enable logging for the service:

- Either open Services.msc and stop the "Wayk Now Unattended Service", or open an administrator command prompt and run `net stop wayknowservice`.
- Next, enable logging by running the following command from an elevated command prompt:

wayk-now config --global LoggingLevel 1

- Finally, start the service again - either through Services.msc, or by running `net start wayknowservice` from your elevated command prompt.

Then you can reproduce the issue by trying to connect to that machine, and please send us the log files from %PROGRAMDATA%\Wayk\Logs to support@devolutions.net.

Additionally, if you can check for the existence of this file:

%WINDIR%\Temp\NowSession.log

And send that as well (if present).

Thank you, and apologies for the inconvenience

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

To further elaborate on my response above:

The Wayk Now Unattended Service needs to launch one or more helper processes inside the user session. The "Channel Subsystem Failure" message indicates an error in that mechanism, which could be:

- the helper process launched, but was unable to communicate with the service
- the helper process failed to launch

The above could be caused by networking / firewall software, GPOs, etc. It's certainly something that can be resolved with the proper configuration, but we need to know the failure point to provide detailed guidance.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Oddly enough this issue is resolved. Perhaps restarting service?

Clock3 mths

Hello

Thanks for the follow-up, and glad that's working ok for you now.

As I alluded above, there are a couple of reasons for that issue, with multiple causes. We're working on some changes now to prevent the first reason (helper process unable to communicate with the service) from occurring in future; that won't make the 3.2 version but probably the release after that.

In the meantime, if you find this recurring, please follow the steps above and we will be able to provide a recommendation on how to proceed.

And, if you have other questions or problems, please don't hesitate to post back here.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths