Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Credentials Explanation

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello, we've always used RDM with a local source. Typically we would enter our domain credentials at the root level, and then let that propagate down the tree to all the folders/objects (inherited). Now, we are changing to a more centralized data source (using SQL Server), and I'm noticing that method no longer works because now when any user logs in and opens an object, it uses my credentials.

How do we set it up so people can save their own AD credentials on objects so they can just double-click and connect without doing anything else?

Clock7 days

Hello,

With your scenario, just leave your sessions/folders to Inherited and ask to your users to perform a User Specific Settings at the root level to override the credentials of the root folder (which should be empty). Regarding the credentials of your colleagues, they just need to save them inside their Private Vault.

For more informaton's on both features, please consult https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/edit_userspecificsettings.htm and https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/view_navigation_privatevault.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, April 22, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock7 days

Great, that worked.

One more question. Is it possible to hide folders from users? It's fine for admins to see everything, but I'd like to be able to control which servers/folders that a user can even see.

Clock7 days

Hello,

Indeed, it's possible to hide folders to your users. To accomplish this, you woud need to use our Role Based Security system.
For more information on that feature, please consult https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/rolebasedsecuritysystem_simplifiedsecurity.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, April 22, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock7 days

So I've managed to screw up folder permissions to point that I can't fix it. Is there a way to reset everything to default?

Clock6 days

Hello,

Via the Batch Edit feature, this should be possible. Go in Edit -> Advanced Search -> Connection Type -> Folders. Then, select all your folders and perform a batch edit to reset them to Default - https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/commands_batchedit.htm

This will accomplish the changes on the folders directly, no into the child sessions of the folder.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock3 days

I tried doing that but still had some issues. I decided to just delete the data source/DB and recreate it. After doing so, I'm noticing that some of my datasource settings are left over. For example, my DUO MFA settings are still active, even though when I recreated the data source, I didn't configure any MFA settings. I also noticed that when I tried to re-create a user, it said that a user logon already existed in the DB. How is that possible? How are these settings still configured after deleted the DB and re-creating it?

Clock2 days

Hello,

By deleting the DB, you mean that you have opened SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and delete the DB from there right?
If you have made this, indeed, this should have deleted the DB entirely.

However, the data source configuration is saved locally in a file called RemoteDesktopManager.cfg. By default, this file is located in %localappdata%\Devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager.
If you want to also reset your local settings, I would suggest renaming this file into RemoteDesktopManager.old to start with a fresh configuration file.

Regarding the users, when you delete a DB, the logins remains on the SQL Server, so this is probably why you have received this message when you have tried to recreate your users.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock2 days