Forum / Wayk Now - Support

German Keyboard Problem

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi, I have downloaded Wayk Now because I want to leave Teamviewer.
The Problem is, that when I want to type y or z on the iPad App or Android App both letters are reversed on my iMac
That means if I type a y there is an z and if I type a z there is a y.
All Programs on my iMac, my iPad and my Samsung Galaxy are on German Language.
What did I do wrong? Can you help me to fix this?

Kind regards

Clock9 mths

Hello,

First, sorry for the delay in replying. I wanted to test this out and see exactly what the issue is. Unfortunately, there is nothing you are doing wrong and this is a problem we will have to resolve on our side.

On a desktop system, the key you press has a corresponding key code, or "scan code", that identifies the physical key that was pushed. We send that scan code to the server, and then use it to simulate the same key press event. This works quite well - you can see this post (https://forum.devolutions.net/topic31431-wrong-keyboard-mapping-in-linux.aspx) for some information about the complexity of that in a cross-platform environment - but, for example, I just tried a macOS-to-macOS connection with German keyboards, and everything worked well smile

On iOS, the problem is that the OS does not tell us a key code for the key that was pushed - instead, it gives us the character that resulted from the key push. Currently, we fit that into our protocol by attempting to map the character to a key stroke on the remote system. That mapping is based mainly on a US English keyboard layout, which causes some edge cases - like your issue.

We need to revise the way that we handle key input on mobile platforms to properly accommodate all the different permutations of platform and keyboard layout. I have raised this issue internally, and I will post back here once we have a fix for that, but right now, I don't know when that will be.

The only workaround I can propose right now is to switch your iOS keyboard to a US English layout while entering text through Wayk Now. The iOS "Globe" button makes it fairly easy and seamless to switch between keyboard layouts while typing.

In the meantime, if you have further questions or comments, please don't hesitate to post back here.

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Any update on this or a estimated time you plan to have this fixed?. I am a swedish user and my character are not on a English keyboard that I need. Mainly the key åäö.

Clock3 mths

Hello Peter

We have investigated a couple of options on how to resolve this, but don't yet have any update or estimate for a fix. I have one or two ideas for some approach that might mitigate the issue, and I'll try to revisit that ahead of the next iOS release. We will post back here once there is some news.

Thank you for your patience,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello

Thank you for your patience on this, I have some good news regarding the issue.

The key mapping that I mentioned above applies only if the character in question is ASCII (e.g. an alphanumeric or common symbol like '). For other characters that fall outside of the ASCII character set, we have an additional mode that sends the character itself instead of a key code. On the server-side, we attempt to translate the character into a keypress.

The next iOS release has a hidden feature - a long-press on the show/hide keyboard button will force all input to be sent as unicode. This should work well for ASCII text, regardless of the respective keyboard layouts, as well as other symbols.

Unfortunately, while implementing that, I noticed that a few versions prior we introduced a bug in our unicode support on the server. So this feature will also require an update to the next version on the machine you are connecting too.

These changes should, therefore, be available in iOS 3.2.2 and the next desktop version (which will likely be 3.3.3). I will post back here once these changes are available.

Thanks again for your patience,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello again

We've released the iOS version 3.3.2, which includes the fixes stated above. It should be available in the App Store within a few hours.

However, as I noted, a corresponding server-side fix is also required. That is in the next version of Wayk Now for Windows, macOS and Linux. I don't know the release date yet, but when I have some news I will post again in this thread.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello

Thanks for your patience on this.

Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available for download for desktop systems (Windows, macOS, Linux) here. Please update your computer(s) to the latest version.

Then, on iOS - if you are running version 3.3.2 or higher - with the keyboard open, you can long-press the keyboard button on the session toolbar and it will turn red. This indicates you are in unicode input mode, and should workaround keyboard layout issues.

We welcome your feedback on this. A future update will make that available on Android as well.

Thanks and kind regards

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock10 days