Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Error

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
We are in the process of deploying password server, but we are currently encountering some issues. Specifically, we are receiving the below error message when some users log into the WebUI.
The following error was received by XXXX at 3/15/2019 8:50:32 AM
Error:
InvalidOperationException - Failed to deserialize connection, connectionData is empty at Devolutions.Server.ConnectionManager.DeserializeConnection(ConnectionInfoEntity connectionInfo) --- SessionManagement
Source:
Devolutions.Server.Common

The user does not see an error message in the Web UI, however some actions do not seem to work (such as setting a password). When the issue occurs, we are receiving thousands of emails with the above error message. A similar error message is also being logged in the Event Viewer on the server. What can we do to resolve this issue?
Thanks

Clock9 mths

Hello,

It seems that an entry cannot be deserialized.

Could you please send us the Devolutions Password Server diagnostic report using the Send Diagnostic to Support from the DPS Console? Please a a reference to this forum post in the Message section.

https://helpserver.devolutions.net/kb_senddiagnostic.htm

Could you please check if there is any problem in the Database Diagnostic report in the DPS Console? If so, please send me a screen shot of the tabs that are displaying errors.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/management_dbdiagnostic.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Thanks for the response.
First, I would like to apologize for the post subject. I was distracted while submitting this and just forgot to finish typing out a relevant subject.

I have uploaded the diagnostics report and referenced this forum post in the report.

The database diagnostics show all green checkmarks, so all looks well there. I'm not sure if it is related, but the 'Deserialization' tab is completely empty.

Thanks

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information and the report. The report content looks good as your DPS configuration doesn't contain any misconfiguration.

About the Deserialization tab, if it's empty that means it perfect. But this will only check on the Default repository. It will not analyze all other repositories or users' Private Vault.

If you have more than one repository, could you please run the Analyze operation on each repository in the Pack Data Source tool from the DPS Console to see if one of the entries trigger invalid Metadata information? If so, you can run the Optimize operation to fix those entries.

https://helpserver.devolutions.net/kb_packdatasource.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

I did see some invalid metadata and ran optimize operation. Those entries no longer show as invalid, so hopefully this has resolved the issue.

I will report back if we continue to see this issue.

Thanks

Clock9 mths

This did not resolve the issue. It seems the errors are only showing up when somebody logs into the website for the first time (not sure if the same happens using RDM yet). We are currently using AD users and groups to manage access. Users are set to be created upon first login and we have setup windows authentication. We use AD groups to manage access to the different repositories.

Thanks

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information and sorry that this issue still exist.

What DPS and RDM version are you using?

I will then try to reproduce the issue and will also check with the engineering department what is happening when this error is triggered.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Both DPS and RDM are new installations, so everything should be the latest version.
DPS - 6.1.3.0
RDM - 14.1.3.0

Thanks

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Thank you again for the information.

I forgot to ask one important question. Have you set a Security Provider on your database (Shared Passphrase or Certificate)?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Hello,

A ticket has been submitted to our engineering department. For your information, the internal ticket number is DPS-2894. I will keep you in touch once I will get some information about it.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Seems my browser ate some of my replies.
To the question of the security provider. We are using the Default option under 'Security Provider'. This was not changed upon installation.

We did notice some import issues while trying to import from external data sources. We receiving time out errors whenever we tried to import. Looking at the logs, we saw quite a few auth errors. This was resolved by unchecking the 'Enable domain cache' feature. After unchecking that, all of our imports started to work without issue. Unfortunately, we are still seeing the 'Failed to deserialize connection' error messages. We are getting spammed with thousands of these messages when they occur. I believe the idea that they are only occurring when a new user logs in is still holding true.

Thanks

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

It is strange that the importation time out error messages seem to be related to the Enable domain cache feature. How many entries did you try to import to get time out errors?

The Failed to deserialize connection error message is maybe related to the external data source importation. Do you have any unique identifier of the connection like this 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 in the error message?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

I was not the one that ran the import, but the most recent import was about 2600 records. The person that did it said they first imported the entries to a local data source and then attempted to move them over to the password server, however kept on receiving a time out error. This actually resulted in the entire server going non-responsive for a period of time while the import was 'running' and resulting in a timeout. I don't recall seeing any unique IDs in any error messages, however the import did have invalid metadata that I corrected after the fact.

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

It looks like the DPS instance didn't get any response from the SQL Server and triggered time outs. This obviously impact all users and the DPS instance itself as it became unresponsive.

It is possible to change few parameters to prevent getting time out errors. You can increase the Connection Timeout and the Connect retry count parameters in the Advanced settings of the Database tab of the DPS settings.

https://helpserver.devolutions.net/database_advancedsettings.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths