Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - PowerShell Repository

How to convert SafePassword to clear usable password ?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

We are currently working on a powershell script aiming to test all our sessions daily, the idea is to detect broken session (or bad credentials) that need manual fixing before we really need to use them. (BTW that could be a great native macro/script ! )

For that we have to try to connect to each of them (or at least do a port connection testing for rdp sessions). For the session using SSH tunneling we need to open the tunnel first. To do sowe need clear password but they are only available in SafePassword form (under {session}.Terminal.SafePassword ).

Is there a way to access these password ?

Thanks,

G

Clock3 mths

Hello,

I think the information that you are looking for is in this help article.
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/administration_connectingexternalsystem.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello,

You can also use the Get-RDMSessionPassword cmdlet to get the password in clear text of any kind of entry in RDM.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi Erica and Jean-Francois,

First, thanks for the quicks answers.

Jean-Francois: We activated "Allow Password Access From External System" but we cannot find any UnsafePassword in the XML nor in (Get-RDMSession -Name 'SESSION-NAME').Terminal.
Also, should this work with embedded private-key too ?

Erica: Get-RDMSessionPassword work well with Entry (with an ID) but i didn't find a way to get embedded ssh-tunnel's password with it.

Thanks,
G

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Yes it is possible to get the embedded SSH tunnel's password with the following commands.

$session = Get-RDMSession -Name "YourSession"
$password = Get-RDMSessionPassword -ID $session.VPN.ExistingSessionID -AsPlainText

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Do I need specifics permission to see that ? All my ExistingSessionID are empty.

Thanks,

G

Clock3 mths

Hello,

The solution I gave you is when the SSH tunnel is configured as a VPN. Could you please explain me how your SSH tunnels are configured?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

You'll find attached screenshots of my configuration. Everything is default except in
VPN/SSH/Gateway -> Settings Tab -> General Tab
and
General -> General Tab

Thanks,

G

VPN-SSH-Gateway.png
general tab.png
General ssh.png
Clock3 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information. Indeed, the way you have configured your SSH tunnel in the RDP, you will have to use the method provided byu my colleague Jeff to decrypt the password located in session's property VPN.VPNSafePassword.

The solution I have provided works when the SSH Tunnel exist as an entry and you bind it to your RDP entries like the following.

Two entries : one RDP and one SSH Tunnel

The Type set in the General tab of the VPN/SSH/Gateway configuration is set to SSH.

And the Session SSH Tunnel is selected in the Settings tab.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths