Forum / Wayk Now - Bug Report

Wrong keyboard mapping in Linux

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi guys, I think that I discovered a bug using Wayk Now 3.1.0 over Linux. When you press, for example, the key "-", it writes " ' ". I'm using Spanish layout.

I'm connecting from Remote Desktop Manager over Windows 10.

I tried to connect directly from Wayk Now installed in Windows 10 but the same problem.

It looks like the mapping of the keyboard is wrong, because I change my Linux language but the problem persists.

Hope you can replicate this problem (it is really easy) and solve it ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Clock13 days

Hello

What is your Linux system? Is it Ubuntu?

Can you share with me the output of `setxkbmap -query`?

Thanks very much,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

Hi Richard,

I did this test with Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and with Debian. In both cases the problem appears.

Here you have the output:

rules: evdev
model: pc105
layout: es,us
variante: ,

Thank you!

Clock12 days

Hello,

Thanks for confirming your setup, I wanted to make sure I was trying this in the same environment as you.

Can you try switching your keyboard layout in Windows to `US Keyboard` (leaving your remote Linux system in the Spanish layout), and let me know if that fixes the issue?

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock12 days

Hi Richard,

I have changed the keyboard layout in my Windows 10 to US Keyboard and now it works perfectly.

The problem is that I can't have the keyboard changed to US because I need the keyboard in Spanish, how you can imagine.

Can you do a fix to solve this bug?

Thanks!

Clock11 days

Hello

Thanks for confirming that changing to US keyboard layout works around the issue. I do understand that it's not a proper solution.

Unfortunately, it is not a quick fix for us to resolve this. I have created an issue to track this internally and will post back here once we have a resolution, but right now I can't say when that will be.

To explain a little bit why this is a complicated problem:

When you press a key on the keyboard, the OS translates this button press into a key code. Every platform has its own different set of keycodes (and Linux has a divergent set of keycodes again, depending on the specific input driver). Because keycodes are not consistent across platforms, we must translate the key code into a platform independent value, and then reverse that translation at the other side.

Given the different possible combinations of platform keycodes, keyboard hardware, and hard-and-soft keyboard layouts, you might understand why this process is tricky to get exactly correct!

As I said, I will post back here when I have an update on this. In the meantime if you have further questions or issues please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock11 days

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info.

I will wait for the solution.

Best regards,
Jose

Clock10 days