Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - PowerShell Repository

Setting Credential Type on Folders (Groups)

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I am looking for a method to change the Credential type on Folders to "Inherited".

I am adding a large number of Sessions to a DataSource stored in SQL. When I do so, it creates all the "Groups". I can change the Creds on the Sessions without a problem. However, I can't see a way to go it on the Folders (Groups).

From looking around, it appears that the Get-RDMSession cmdlet used to have a -Type parameter. But it no longer appears to.

Help appreciated.

Des

Clock5 mths

Hello Des,

you can use the Advanced Search to search for connection types Folders - and with the Batch Edit feature you're able to set the Credential type.

Regards,
Min

Clock5 mths

Thanks. I can see how to do it in the GUI, but I am looking to do with via Powershell.

Basically, I am exporting my VM and Folder structure from vSphere and import that as Groups and Sessions in RDM.
I can do that with a full import, except for setting the "Inherit" option on the Groups. (I can set it on the Sessions)
But I want to keep this updated nightly, so I need to set this in the script.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Are you importing your sessions via PowerShell or via a synchronizer session?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

All via Powershell so it can be run via scheduled task at night to update with any new systems.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Here is the command you can run to get the list of all your folders.

Get-RDMSession | where {$_.ConnectionType -eq "Group"}

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Thank you. That helped.

I discovered where my problem was lying. The object I was getting from VMWare had three pieces of info:
1 - Name of the VM
2 - Folder it was located in, in the format "Top\Next\Final"
3 - The OS the VM was running

When I created the Session. I used the Name for both the HOST and NAME field.
I used the "Folder" for the GROUP. The cmdlet was smart enough to create the full tree structure of folders: Top -> Next -> Final.

The problem that was throwing me, is that NONE of those folders, has an ITEM TYPE. Using the command above, produce no result. However, I can see the structure in the GUI.

When I created a FOLDER in the GUI, or by specifying the GROUP Type in Powershell, I was able to find those Folders that I created.

So, it looks like I will need to script this to create the Folder structure first, then add the Sessions to the already created folders.

Thanks for all the help.

Appreciated,
Des

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation.

That's correct, to be able to create an entry in a specific folder, this folder must have been previously created.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths