Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Where is the setting "Allow reveal password in properties"?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

If a user watches your YouTube video from Jessica Grosman (https://youtu.be/fZju2RVPhyA) discussing the difference between using your RDM legacy "Security Groups" and your new "Role Based Security System" a person would think that they should NOT use "Legacy Security Groups" if they are setting up a brand new Data Store (using SQL Server for example). Is this true? I ask because that is exactly what I did, but now I cannot find certain settings unless "Use legacy security" is enabled.

For example, I cannot find the "Allow reveal password in properties" settings withing Role Management > Privileges because the entire "Privileges" section is not there unless I enable "Use legacy security" in Data Source Settings > Security section. This is confusing. Am I missing something? Is the "Allow reveal password in properties" setting located somewhere else when the "Use legacy security" setting is disabled?

Clock3 mths

Hello,

The Allow reveal password in properties is indeed only available when Legacy Security is checked.
What we could propose is when you give permission to a certain role on a folder, you can give them the right to view the password, which will allow them to view the password without being able to edit it.
viewpass

Best Regards,

Etienne Lord

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019.

signaturesignature

viewpass.png
Clock3 mths

Yes, if Devolutions made that change that would solve that one immediate issue and allow users to "only view" the password without changing it, but then how/where in RDM would you give them the ability to also be able to "change/edit" the password?

You guys are definitely going down the right path with Role Based Security, but in my opinion it is not quite ready for large enterprise customers who have complex IT organizations with multiple layers of management as well as multiple technical levels within their various teams. To satisfy the needs of environments like that screens like this one (I have attached) will need to have much more granular permission sets. Heck, with all that needs to be accomplished, "passwords" alone could take up their own entire tab on this one page by itself. Ex. Show Password (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never), Reveal Password (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never), Password History (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never), Password Complexity (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never).

I love Remote Desktop Manager. Please let me know what I can do to help you guys in this process. I want to do whatever I can to make this the best tool of its kind.

2019-02-27_16-06-01.png
Clock3 mths

Hello,

After a quick talk with the engineering department, the "Allow reveal password" option will be removed. With that said, only the Administrator will have the option to do so. Non-admin user will need to have the "View Password" permission and make a Right-Click -> View Password.

Best Regards,

Etienne Lord

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

I have to warm up this topic.

I think there might be a bug.
We are using DPS v6.1.3.0 with RDM 14.1.3.0 and if i set an entry do Permission View password = Never
a user who can edit a entry can still reveal it.

Maybe its designed that way, but in that way it doesn't suit my needs.

I need users to be able to edit entries, but they aren't allowed to reveal a password by right-click Copy password, by Edit -> reveal Password.

Do you have a solution?

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock5 days

Hi Markus,

In the versions who mentioned you are experiencing exactly the confusion about view/reveal password. In user and role there was a privilege ( in legacy security) ''Allow reveal password in properties'' that is probably set to allow in your system.
In the new versions we took out this privilege to avoid this confusion. Now, only the View Password Permission drive the password fields. I think that will be your solution.
Please note that RDM 2019. will need to be with DPS 2019 that is in still in Beta stage. Fell free to try it.

Thanks for your Input
France

France Lymburner

signaturesignature

Clock5 days