Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

I've tried to evaluate Password Server, but was stopped at launching the web-frontend.

When I started the initial connection to "servername/dps" I may enter user and password, but the
"Log in" button shows no reaction. No reaction after "mouseklick".

I've tried different browsers and also 2 different servers (2 installations from scratch).
What could be the issue?

Regards
Daniel

Clock10 mths

Hello,

I assume you are using the latest version of DPS (6.1.3).
Have you tried from different browsers?
Could you take a look at the DPS logs? (https://helpserver.devolutions.net/index.html?configure_dvlslogs.htm)

Regards,

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi,

as mentioned: Different Browsers.
Browser-Types: IE, FF, Edge.
Version: 6.1.3.0
Log shows:
Unbenannt

Website shows, "Log In" click, nothing happens. The button does not work
Unbenannt2

Best regards
Daniel

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt2.JPG
Clock10 mths

Hello,

It seems like the account you're using to connect to the database might be lacking privileges.
Is DPS using Integrated Security. Try setting the account as db_reader AND db_writer as a test.
This account is either the one you specified in the DPS Console (SQL-Server Account) or the one set as your Application Pool Identity (IIS).

Please write us at support@devolutions.net so we can provide you a SQL query that will define the minimal rights to this account, in order to remove the db_writer role membership, that is a little wide for the purpose.

I hope this helps.
Best regards

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi,

as it is an eval, the configuration is unsecure - just for testing purposes.
Actual DPS Auth-Config:
- Auth. with domain user
- Auth. with database user
- Auth. with Devolutions Password Server custom user

The Domain-Account I connect with ist Domain-Admin and dbo.
Also it is set at app-pool level.

Before I write you @support - do you really think, it is a security issue?
I am Domain-Admin with more than enough rights.

When clicking the button *nothing* happens. No Load, no error, just as if there is nothing executed, when clicking.

Best regards
Daniel

Clock10 mths

Hello,

As I was saying, the effect you're experiencing (Logon not working and no logs available (system cannot write in the logs table)) is often pointing toward an account with insufficient right to the database.
However, having the domain admin account with SysAdmin rights set at the application pool level is more than enough.

Is the user created at the DPS level?
Is this a custom Devolutions User?
Have you set an account for the Administration Credentials (located in DPS Cnosole -> Edit -> Authentication/Domain, you can validate that the actual credentials from the "...")

Devolutions offers a free setup support session for new installation (even for a trial).
Would you like one of our technician having a look on the your setup? Please write us at support@devolutions.net to plan a call.

Thanks for keeping us in touch.

Best regards,

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hello,

- Is the user created at the DPS level?
- No, Domain-Admin/User, but I also tried to create a DPS-level user. Same issue
- Is this a custom Devolutions User?
- No idea, what that means
- Have you set an account for the Administration Credentials (located in DPS Cnosole -> Edit -> Authentication/Domain, you can validate that the actual credentials from the "...")
- Tried logged on account and another dom-admin. Both work

I also wonder, why the installation did fail on two different lab-systems.
Also I struggled a lot with outdated/false information in the documentation.

In the meantime I evaluated 5 other enterprise password-sollutions without problems - wished the devolutions password server did the same, as we like
to distribute it to customers as we do with RDM.

Maybee you take that as a feedback to improve installation process and make it more "straight".

I think, I will use the setup support session in the next time.

Thanks
Daniel

Clock10 mths

Hello,

I'm sorry you're experiencing this kind of issues. We performed countless installations of DPS, and in most cases it goes smoothly and quite quickly.
Most of the issues we're encountering have to do with faulty IIS's, or sometimes AD Recursive Group Memberships...
We're also constantly striving to improve and facilitate the installation/upgrade process, and so far we have made tremendous progress in this regards.

When I asked if the user was created at DPS level, I meant is it in the Users List (DPS Console Users)
The Custom Users (Devolutions) are user that are not linked to AD. Testing with such user can rule out AD authentication issues.

Getting back to the issue, it would be interesting to show the Console of your Browser while attempting to log in and see what's in there (console and network messages).
For now, there seems to be a problem with IIS, maybe consulting IIS Logs may indicate the root cause of this issue.
We're still open and willing to plan a session regarding.

Again, we're sorry that for now the system is still non functional.

Best regards

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hello,

"When I asked if the user was created at DPS level, I meant is it in the Users List (DPS Console Users)
The Custom Users (Devolutions) are user that are not linked to AD. Testing with such user can rule out AD authentication issues."

I tried that, too - same issue.

Also consulting IIS logs would be the last step I do ... I invested nearly a whole day, trying to install on two fresh lab systems, while installing 3(4?)
other enterprise sollutions with different database types und webserver types in less than an hour.

In the next time, I'll write to your support for a remote-session, but that can take some time.
The documentation says, you need a RDM-client, but I expect, that there's no need for it - just a browser?! Correct?

Thanks you so far, regards
Daniel

Clock10 mths

Hello,

Indeed, installing RDM is no longer mandatory, as the console is now a standalone application and not part of RDM anymore.

We'll be waiting for the email to schedule a session, thanks for your cooperation.
We're looking forward to helping you.

Best regards,

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths