Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

Error-message when create a new user (RDM database hosted on MSSQL)

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

When creating a new user (or modifying an existing user), I'm getting an exception.

When creating a new user - like this:

Then I'm getting then error:

The exception is the same, when I'm trying to edit an existing user.

//Anders

Clock11 mths

Hello,

In the 2nd Screen capture you attached, the error states that the login for the user doesn't exist. this can be explained by the first screen capture, in which the "Create SQL Server Login and User" is not ticked.

That being said, if checking this box gives you a different error message, it is possible that you administrator account is lacking some privileges on the database server (master), which would be, at the server level, ALTER ANY LOGIN -> GRANT. Additionally, you should also check the WITH GRANT privilege as it will give your administrator the right to GRANT other administrator the ALTER ANY LOGIN right automatically. You should also apply some wi

Here's a detailed procedure

At the master database level you will need to grant those permissions:

GRANT ALTER ANY USER TO [WINDJAMMER\RDMRunner] WITH GRANT OPTION;
GRANT ALTER ANY LOGIN TO [WINDJAMMER\RDMRunner] WITH GRANT OPTION;

At the Remote Desktop Manager Database level you will need to grant those permissions:

GRANT ALTER ANY USER TO [WINDJAMMER\RDMRunner];

Simply replace [WINDJAMMER\RDMRunner] by your own [domain\account]

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Hi again,

My mistake I didn't explain or setup fully. smile

Access to the database is granted with an AD-group, so users isn't created directly on the database + in the SQL-server. That's by design, that we don't want all users to be added as an user in the SQL-server.

This setup has been working for a long time. I think it's with RDM version 14 the problem started.

//Anders

Clock11 mths

Hello,

Since setting up users in RDM will require them to have their own database user (login), we do not recommend (neither support) to use AD security group as it will then not be possible to link these users with a "non-existing" sql login.

Have you considered using Custom Login (Devolutions)?
This will require only one database SQL login, or 2 for more security for upgrades.

More detailed about this kind of setup here: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic30950-sql-server-with-custom-login-permissions-for-the-underlying-sql-user.aspx

Maybe you can take a look at DPS to fully integrate Active Directory to your data source. (https://server.devolutions.net/)

I'm sorry i cannot be of more help.

Regards,

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths