Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Powershell Resolve Inline Field Variables

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Is it possible to resolve variables on the field of a connection (including sub-connections) from within powershell? I have several server connections that have 'Custom #1' pointing to their inner '$HOST$' variable, but not necessarily all of them. And then they each have several sub-web-connections that point to that field using '$PARENT_CUSTOM_FIELD1$' for the website URL.

In powershell, I'll see these underlying variable strings (i.e. 'http://$HOST$/path'), but I need to be able to resolve that host variable before I can properly use these values.

What are my options?

HB

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Unfortunately, only RDM will resolve the variables when using/opening the entries. Getting any properties using PowerShell will behave like editing an entry in RDM, the variables will not be resolved.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Could you merge this into a PCR/Feature Request then please? I need to find a way to do this, whether it be in Powershell, SQL, or some sort of SDK to tie into. We want to build companion apps off of the data we've built within RDM, but the application needs to live separately from RDM itself.

HB

Clock9 mths

And/or perhaps it might be useful if you could provide a list that specifies how each variable is linked to the various properties (which powershell property and SQL column).

HB

Clock9 mths

Has this been merged into a PCR yet?

Clock7 mths

Hello,

After a discussion with the engineering team, they still haven't found any solution for this feature request as they are not sure if this is even possible to resolve variables using the PowerShell module.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

In reference to this post, please correct a bug in the 'Copy-RDMSession' cmdlet on the 'ResolveVariables' flag. Should work the same as the UI, but it does not return the connection with the resolved variables. That is because there is a bug @ RemoteDesktopManager.PowerShellModule.CopyRDMSessionCommand::ProcessRecord() where the 'ResolvedVariables' connection is not returned to the final result.

This will help to provide me some sort of workable options when it comes to resolving variables as I can at least make a temp copy, WITHOUT saving and get all the variables resolved in that temp connection and then manage them as needed. In that respect, clearly the logic and capability is there to resolve variables on demand, or perhaps just singularly, so it just needs to be exposed to these various tools (PS/SDKs).

HB

Clock5 mths

Hi,

We have been able to reproduce the issue with the Copy-RDMSession and the ResolveVariables flag.
We opened a ticket about this issue to our engineering department.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello,

The ResolveVariables flag issue has been fixed in the Copy-RDMSession cmdlet and is available in RDM 2019.1.25.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Any traction on being able to resolve inline field variables from powershell on-demand (w/o the over head of my copy method above)?

HB

Clock10 days

Hello,

It seems that within RDM PowerShell, we cannot resolve inline field variables on-demand.

Even on the Dashboard, RDM doesn't resolve the inline field variable.

Let me check with the engineering team if we can do something about it.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock10 days