Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Documentation tab editing is not possible after first save

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello to Devolutions,

we have a problem with Documentaton tab

First attempt to edit is fine, but on every other edit the changes are lost after refresh even if we save changes.

Have no clue whats going on here :-(

Also error notification is sent by server
All components are freshly up to date
server 6.1.3
RDM 14.1.3
Running RDM on W2016 RDserver or Win10 1809 desktop doesn't make any difference

The following error was received by jan.vosta at 1/29/2019 10:42:40 AM

Error:
ServerAPIException - Access was denied. at Devolutions.Server.Controllers.APIControllers.V2.BackendApiController.GetConnectionHandbookPages(Guid connectionID) at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] ) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken) --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.AuthorizationFilterAttribute.d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.d__0.MoveNext() --- Default
Source:
Devolutions.Server>

What can i try to solve this issue?

Thank you

Clock11 mths

Hello,

The Access Denied error message could be related to the permissions on the SQL database.

Could you please send us the DPS Diagnostic report using Send Diagnostic to Support from the DPS Console?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Hello Erica,

report sent few minutes ago.

Best regards

Jan Vosta

Clock11 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the diagnostic report.

After a discussion with an engineer, it seems to be related to the View documentation permission on the entry or its parent folder. Could you please check what value is set for the View documentation permission? Does the user who tried to edit the documentation tab has been set in the View documentation permission?

Here is a screen shot of the View documentation permission on an entry in RDM.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Hello Erica,

this problem is reported by normal RDM Users and also by users with Administrator rights on Repository.
Also on items just created with my user account (which is administrator Role) is the same problem with documentation editing.
I checked permissions on object and there's default. (I my opinion is right, default is inherited from upper folder or object. And i Have Admin right, so I should not be limited by this)
The strange thing is - some objects are OK, and some (freshly created) are not :-/

Best regars

Clock11 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

Are you able to explain the exact steps required to reproduce the issue?

Is it when you use the Save button or when you save the modification when you switch to another entry?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

OK, I'll try it...

First I create some Object. In this case it was SSH remote session, and also some Sub-Connectios
than i started to write information to editor on Documentation tab and go further with
- Save Button to save the list
- gave it a name -> OK
- went to View and realized some mistakes in text formating
Now there are two variants:
a) click File - Refresh
b) change selection to antoher object in tree and go back to edited object again

- go back to Documentation Editor and changes are not saved

Somtimes I get Error message via email notification from server which is in the first post.

Even set up permission manually to Custom with my Admingroup (Role synced with Active Directory) dosen't make any difference
Strange thing is that this behaviour is relatively random and it seems it on newly created object since 6.1.3 server version upgrade (but this is not absolutely verified)
For now we are able to edit some older objects and some freshly created but not all which is frustrating.
PS: we started using documentation right after upgrade. Previous version was 6.0.02 and Documentation tab wasn't used widely. We didn't notice this kind of problem

Clock11 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information. We have been able to reproduce the issue and a ticket has been sent to the engineering department. For your information, the ticket number is DPS-2714. As soon as we will be notified for an update on that issue, I will update this topic.

We have also found a workaround. You can edit and save the modification from the web interface of your DPS instance. The issue exist only within RDM.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Hello,

I forgot to mention that I have moved this topic in the DPS support section as this issue exist only on a DPS data source.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Hello,

The issue has been resolved internally and the fix will be available in the next Devolutions Password Server version 2019.1.x.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths