Forum / Wayk Now - Support

software activation - software rollout

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to activate wayk via a command?
Something like

WaykNow activate xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

So we can roll out the MSI and activate the product for our technicians automatically.

Thanks for your answer.
Best regards
Hans

Clock6 mths

Hi Hans

You can use the configuration CLI for that. General instructions are here: https://helpwayk.devolutions.net/index.html?kb_configcommandline.htm

The property name you want is "RegistrationSerial".

So, for example:

WaykNow.exe config "RegistrationSerial" "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

That will register the client for the current user. To register the unattended service, pass "--global".

The "RegistrationSerial" key is undocumented in our CLI, so that may change in the future. But I just tested and it works. You will need to restart the Wayk Now client if it's already running when you run the command.

Let me know if that helps,

Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Note that if you have installed using the .msi, you should be able to just use the command "wayk-now". So, for example:

wayk-now config "RegistrationSerial" "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

Hope that helps,

Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hi Richard

Thanks for your answer.

There is one Problem I've noticed..
First of all,

wayk-now config "RegistrationSerial" "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
worked like a charm. (when i tired it manually)

But as you said, this will only register the client for the current user. The user in this case is an admin user, who is used for software distribution.
So the Client is not activated for the technician but for the admin.

If I understood correctly, I can use --global to activate the product for the computer (for all users of the computer)? Correct me please...

So i tried

WaykNow config --global "RegistrationSerial" xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
but got this error:
The file "C:\ProgramData\Wayk\WaykNow.cfg" can't be saved

Same for
Wayk-Now config --global "RegistrationSerial" xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

When I remove the .cfg in %ProgramData% and then run the cmd, it works but does not activate Wayk Now...

Alright, then I thought about creating a GPO that will activate the Client on Logon - this would work ofc... But if I do this, it will activate the Product on every machine I'm logging in to... Isnt this an issue?

For your understanding:
We have several hundred Computers (in the same Network) running Wayk Now in "ControlMode 2". These Computers don't need a Lic because they don't connect to other Computers (Unattended Access)... We technicians use Wayk Now in normal mode ("ControlMode 0")... Ofc we have to log into various computers (running wayk now) every day to test stuff and solve problems etc. Back to the Problem:
If I'm going to create the GPO, Wayk Now gets activated on every machine im logging in to, using the same lic over and over again... This would look like software piracy... Or is this no Problem?

Yes, I could use wmi filters, but I would like to avoid this solution...

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,
Hans

Clock6 mths

Hello Hans

So, first, to use the --global switch, you must run the command with administrator privileges (e.g. through an elevated command prompt). It's trying to write the file in %PROGRAMDATA% which a regular user will be able to read, but not write.

However, that said, specifying the serial at the global level will not work right now, for the same reason as discussed in your other thread about the control mode setting.

We do understand the issue you're facing, and have made some changes to the settings system. In the next release, settings specified in the global configuration will override settings in the per-user configurations.

In your example, you will be able to configure settings using "wayk-now config --global ..." (from an elevated command prompt), and they will apply to all users on the machine.

We are expecting to release that as soon as possible next week.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hello Richard

That sounds great!
I am looking forward to the release!

Thank you for your help & answers.

Best regards,
Hans

Clock6 mths

Hi Richard,

Have you already released the new version?
I've checked the changelog but didn't found a new version...

Regards,
Hans

Clock6 mths

Hi Hans

Sorry for the delay but the next version is not ready yet. We are working on it and it is coming ASAP. I will write back in this thread once we have an update for you.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hello Hans

The 3.1 release is available now, which has the changes discussed in this thread.

To reiterate - the global settings will now (in most cases) override what is configured in the user (%APPDATA%) configuration.

So you should be able to run (from an elevated command prompt):

wayk-now config --global registrationSerial XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

And effectively register the machine (i.e. all users of the computer).

As always, if you have any feedback or questions on this, please don't hesitate to post back here!

Thank you,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths