Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - AddOns

SSMS Addon - "The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context."

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I'm having trouble configuring the Sql Server Management Studio add-on to use "Net Only".

Desktop is Windows 1809 (OW Build 1763.195) which has been Azure AD Joined.
Server is Azure VM running Windows and joined to Azure Domain Services.
Connectivity is over Azure P2S VPN

I can connect successfully to SQL Server from the Desktop using the following command:
runas /netonly /user:domainname\loginname ssms
After SSMS starts, I enter the server name and select authentication "Windows Authentication"
I'm using SSMS v17.9.1

I'm trying to use "Sql Server Management Studio Add-on" version 2.6.1.0 to replicate what I can do with the command line using the following settings:

• Host name = server name
  • Integrated Secutiry (Active Directory) = checked
  • Run As:
  • Credentials = Custom
  • User name = loginname from command
  • Domain = domainname from command
  • Password = password entered when prompted by runsas command
  • Net Only = checked

When I try to connect using the Add-on, I get the error:
"The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context."

I tried disabling the firewall on the server which had no impact.

Clock10 mths

Can you try setting the RunAs Username to domainname\loginname and leaving the domain field empty.

I have a feeling that it might work. If that doesn't work let me know and I will investigate.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Thanks for the quick response. And sorry for my delayed response. I thought I replied immediately but must have missed the button click...

Unfortunately the changing the username and clearing the domain name did not work.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to aid in your investigation.

Clock10 mths

I am unable to reproduce your issue (see attached video). Am I doing anything different from what you are doing?

Could you please duplicate your session, change the servername/database/username/domain and all other sensitive fields. Save then export session (right click > Export > Export selection (RDM)...). Please send me the .rdm file via email (slavergne@devolutions.net). I will have a look at it to see if there is anything odd going on.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

SSMS.mp4
Clock10 mths

Hello,

I have created a ticket in our ticketing system to perform a remote session with you.
The ticket number is DEVO-1583.

I've sent you an email via this system, let me know if you didn't received it.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the session yesterday, base on the remote diagnostic and multiple tests perform in my infrastructure. I'm afraid that I'm not able to reproduce the issue so I start googling for information.

I found a Microsoft support web page for How to troubleshoot the "Cannot generate SSPI context" error message .

Before testing the Microsoft Tools, could you test RDM on another computer.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths