Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Setting domain/domain inheritance not working

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi, we set the domain on a folder then inherit global credentials which use the domain variable.

I've enabled variables on the datasource.

When setting the domain on the root folder which contains the servers then saving, it will then not actually save and appear blank when opening it again.

Some domain folders keep the domain, majority don't even though they are all set the same way and used to work

This worked without fail until recently

Because we have lots of servers set up to inherit these global credentials, this is becoming very annoying as none of them are logging in anymore

Clock7 days

Hello,

Since you select Credential Repository inside the Domain folder, this is why your domain disappear in the bottom section, because RDM will look at the domain, username and password inside the credential entry. This is why the entire section at the bottom is greyed.

Are you trying to use the same credential entry on different customer folders without creating a credential entry for each customers?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock7 days

Hi,

Yes that's correct. I want to use the same credential entry for multiple servers which use different domains (which is why they use the domain variable to get the domain from the domain folder).

This worked before but for some reason doesn't work right now.

Some domain folders still show the domain when it's all being greyed out but the majority are greyed out and remove the domain

Clock6 days

Hello,

Unfortunately, the domain field can longer be used in that way because this behavior was caused by a bug that is now fixed in the current version of RDM.

What I would recommend is that you create 1 credential entry for each of your folder with the right Domain and that you configure your credential repository to refer to these credentials instead.

This will allow you to do something similar to what you did in the past.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock6 days

Hi,

This functionality was one of the main selling points of the application for us as we wanted to centralize everything. We have many folders with many different domains and being able to update this from one credential entry is very useful.

Here is an official forum post from Jean-Francois explaining how to do exactly what we did, so why is this no longer supported?

https://forum.devolutions.net/forum/topic26440-inherit-credentials-but-override-the-domain.aspx

Can this feature be re-added? It's super useful, allows central managing of passwords and advanced usage of variables.

How is inheriting the domain from the root folder while inheriting credentials from the credential repository which use the domain variable considered a bug? It feels like it's a bug that this no longer works. Especially because this had been officially recommended by staff as a solution in the past.

Clock5 days

Could you create a small Xml data source as a sample for me to test this?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 days

I've attached a basic example, most of what I'm doing is explained in the forum post I linked above

Basically

• the client folder has the domain set and inherits the global credentials
  • the client folders (e.g. servers) inherit credentials
  • the global credentials has username and password set but $DOMAIN$ as the domain

The above means that we can use the one credential file for multiple domains, this is how we set up everything in rdp manager

It looks like the main issue is just not being able to set the domain when using credential repository credentials anymore and it has now cleared all domains set in all the folders so all our connections are now broken

2.xml
Clock4 days

Hello,

We took a look at what was happening and figured out what it is.
The domain type folder wasn't meant to work the way you were using it, this was actually an issue since it acted differently from the other folders for inheriting credentials. A lot of clients reported this as an issue, so we changed it.

What you're saying makes sense though, it's a very interesting feature to have! We'll work on adding a way to override the domain with whatever string you want, which would replicate how you've been using the entry prior. This will be available on all folder types once we have this done.

Unfortunately, you will have to set up your entries again with your domain value. I'll let you know once this feature is available.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 days

Hi Hubert,

I appreciate the response and look forward to this feature being developed

Clock1 day

Hi

We are working on reintegrating this feature and would like to know which RDM version had this behavior.

Regards

Samuel Baker

signaturesignature

Clock3 hrs