Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Enhancement to After Execute Wait - For IP on Adapter to reference Device name as another option

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi There,
I have encountered an issue where I am unable to keep the value blank for the adapter name since it did not work for me (name did not match). The VPN keep looking for an adapter which in my case Watchguaud VPN the name was not the same as the Adapter name. Or I am misunderstanding this functionality.

In my case when I did specify the adapter name 'Ethernet 4' everything worked, however in my environment/ team environment the adapter name is not the same device for each users computer depending on when they installed thier VPN software. So specifying this as a gerneric configuration would not work for all users.

In my case, the device name is always the same Tap-Windows adapter V9 for each user. It would be nice to be able to reference the device name instead so that it might work consistently when the device name will always be the same and the adapter name 'Ethernet 4' may be different for each user.

Is this something that is possible? To either specify adapter name 'Ethernet 4' or to specify Device name 'Tap-Windows Adapter V9' which would usually work when the adapter name is different on each users PC and the VPN name doesn't match.

Anyways, please let me know if this would work, pros/ cons to this feature change. Thanks...Marcel

Clock17 days

Hi Marcel,

Interesting suggestion, I will need to look at the code to figure out if it is possible to do. I haven't looked at this code in a very long time. Will get back to you next week.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock17 days

Might be possible but I need your help. Please perform the following on your machine:

- Install LinqPad https://www.linqpad.net/ (amazing tool to test .NET code snippets), you can install using the .zip (xcopy-deploy)
- Run the attached script
- Is the value you are looking for available (any field)? If so, we can do it easy, if not I will need to dig deeper.

If ever you can't install LinqPad, I can send you a .exe or PowerShell script to extract the information, let me know.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

NetworkInterfaces.linq
Clock15 days

Output should look something like this:
2018 11 26 10 52 38

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

2018-11-26_10-52-38.png
Clock15 days

Hi Stefane,
Looks like it might be possible which is awesome. The value I was looking to map to instead of adapter name was the device name. See the network adapters.png file showing the device names. Looks like the device name matches the description name in the output of the LINQPad application, see the linqpad output.png file. So maybe this maybe possible???

Let me know if you need anything else from me.

network adapters.PNG
linqpad output.PNG
Clock15 days

Nice, it should work then. I will change the code to look at both Name & Description when looking for the VPN and all should work. I added it to my todo list. Hope to get it done soon.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock15 days

Can you confirm the behavior in the tool you envision? I am not just looking for the description value to be shown for the adapter in the selection dialog. But looking to instead of choosing the adapter name where this value could be different for each users profile/ computer setup and when stored in the VPN configuration ect.. may work for some and not others. On my computer when I setup the RDP configuration the adapater could be called "adapter 4" but maybe on another users computer it is called "adapter 2".

I would like to be able to choose the description/ adapter name so that whatever adapter value assignment the user has on their computer that if it matches the same device name/ adapter description I have in the configuration that it would use this adapter. Not sure if could also work as a wildcard lookup but that is what I am thinking might work for my setup.

Unfortunately in my environment we do not have a common computer build for users computers so they are setup differently/ the order they install the VPN clients in. So this is why all computers in my environment do not match/ configured exactly the same.

Thanks again for your consideration for this functionality. Marcel

Clock15 days

Was thinking of keeping it simple.

Instead of the UI showing

<adapter name or blank>
You would see
<adapter name or device name or blank>

So you either enter "adapter 4" or "Tap-Windows adapter V9". You would need to chose the one that has the most chance of working with your infrastructure/setup.

When you use the "..." button the form would allow you to pick from either the adapter name or the device name. So you won't necessarily need to type it

Is that want you are looking for?

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock15 days

Great!! That would work great... And yes simple is sometimes best.

Clock15 days

Marcel,

I was looking at the code to implement this and noticed something.

Can you please try and enter "TAP-Windows adapter V9" in the adapter name field?

It looks like we already check for both (adapter & device) when executing the "wait for" code. So it would only be a UI issue, allowing the user to either pick the adapter name or device name from the dialogue.

Thanks,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock5 hrs

Hi Stefane, I can confirm things worked with the adapter name which is great. I was caught up initally and found out the software was case sensitive for the adapter name. I used: "TAP-Windows adapter V9" initally and it did not work. When I changed to: "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" (Capital A in Adapter) it worked.
If I could provide a suggestion to maybe make it case-insensitive for the looks up. Or previously suggested like a wildcard or Partial name lookup functioanlity Eg. "Adapter V9".

But yes if you could add to the GUI the ability to select either value then that may also prevent manual typing mistakes ect...

Thanks for looking into this.

Thanks,
Marcel

Clock2 hrs