Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Parent FOLDER variable

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I know that from a sub-connection you can access parent information of the root node (connection/entry/session, etc). However why can't you do this for a the parent folder of a connection?? I'm wanting to setup it up so that the 'Tab Title' of a given node is a reflection of the folder it's in dash '-' the name of the connection. The idea is the folder will be a representative of the client, and sub nodes will be simple connection terms of that clients infrastructure (ie. DB, RDP, Config, Rpt; resulting in tab titles like 'Client A - DB', 'Client A - RDP', 'Client A - Config', 'Client A - Rpt'.

One way I tried to do this was executing a local powershell script on the event before connecting, which would look up the connecting session, and perform some logic to determine and set this information. However the execution time is slow AND it doesn't seem to actually finish execution before the connection is started and also doesn't seem to 'Actively' set the 'Tab Title' even though the properties shows it has been updated. Closing and reconnecting will not show the new tab title, it also seems to prevent the application from loading other needed connection information such as username and password since the session will now start to prompt you for that info. However, if you go back into the connection properties and reset/clear that field, then save, all is fine. It's like an app/property activation is missing (update-rdmui doesn't help).

Oh well, I really don't want to do it the powershell route, I'd just like access to parent FOLDER variables, which would solve all my problems.

HB

P.S. Is there another more appropriate way to give a connection an alias, rather than using Tags. The idea is the alias/Tag will be a shorter nick name for the connection which can be used for searching via the filter (Tags work in this case) or tab titles, to conserve valuable space on the tab bar. Does this make sense? So far the Tags are working for this purpose, however that's not really the intention of a tag. I'd also like something that could be selected as a column for the Navigation pane, and currently tags are not available to choose from.

Clock10 days

Hello,

Our folders are of various sub-types: Company, Site, Computer, etc.

Our variables are organized in a few sections, one of which being named "Folder", under which you see these same sub-types.

2018 11 08 18 54 23

Using a variable named following the pattern SITE_XXXX means that RDM will climb up the tree structure until if finds a folder of that same sub-type. It will then grab the corresponding field and replace the variable in your expression by the value of that field.

So, for your scenario, you would typically use a folder of the CUSTOMER type for each of your customers, you can have sub folders of any type to reflect the infrastructure of that customer, whatever depth you need...

In the sessions tab title field, you would use something like $CUSTOMER_NAME$ - $NAME$

For a large customer with multiple sites, you could even have $CUSTOMER_NAME$ - $SITE_NAME$ - $NAME$

Could you give that a try?

Best regards,

PS : response coming in another reply shortly

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

2018-11-08_18-54-23.png
Clock10 days

OOOHHHH, I was wondering how those were used!! I'll check it out.

HB

Clock10 days

That worked perfectly and makes SOOO much more sense. I think what confused me is that in the available list you shared, just plain old 'Folder' doesn't even seem to be an option. Probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea to just make it an option. I don't really see why not.

Is there a functional difference between Customer, Site, or Company? Kind of seem to operate the same.

HB

Clock10 days

Hello,

For searching, you can click on the ellipsis button besides the search field to see your options...

2018 11 08 19 07 38

As you can see, you have a fixed set of fields that can be used for a filter.

On the other hand, if you want to display a column in the treeview, you have a different set of fields

2018 11 08 19 15 44

of which there are no easy intersection for your case.

The Tag feature, not so long ago, was named KEYWORDS/TAGS, which was a simple string that I used for your exact use case. The community, on the other hand, wanted to be able to create a tag cloud in order to work like other products in the IT field.

That doesnt help you, but at least you know wink

In my team, we've realized that people do not really care about the physical name of the endpoint, thats what the HOST name is for. We've slowly started to name the entries with something that is closer to an alias in fact. The strength of RDM is that it removes all of the tediousness of connecting to an endpoint, from testing if its reachable, launching a vpn (securely by brokering the account if needed), performing a BEFORE_CONNECT event, the finally launching the remote access technology of your choice. I forget physical host names, and I rarely ever type passwords, aint nobody got time for that.... wink

Let me know if that is in line with your day to day use. If not we can definitely convert this to a feature request.... Just be aware that adding fields to the search option is not something we do lightly, it impacts the performance significantly.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

2018-11-08_19-07-38.png
2018-11-08_19-15-44.png
Clock10 days

Looks like the folders don't have a Tag option available to them, which is where I''ll need an "alias" in the long run. Oh well, I'll just have to re-purpose another field, hopefully one that is available both in the column and filter options.

Thanks for that detailed information! And indeed, aint got no time for typing in password or ip's anymore! Loving this program.

HB

Clock10 days

Hello,

Regarding the various sub types, they do operate the same, you just need to imagine a complex structure like

- Customer A
- Site A
- Domain A
- Server A-A
- Server A-B

- Domain B
- Server B-A
- Server B-B

our variable systems allows for resolving for variables at any level...

As for the generic folder type, I cant say why it hasnt been included. We've never had that request to my knowledge.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock10 days

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I am definetly noticing that I do have to keep thinking at higher order level when designing this thing, since certain design principles will make our life's easier.

And it's probably cause it was just as easy to convert to one of the other folder types and get it working smile.

HB

Clock10 days

For some of those folder variables, I'm having a hard time figuring out what goes to what.

Like $COMPANY_INFORMATION_COMPANY$, I was thinking that it might by Information > Contact > Company, but that's not resolving. Also a ton of these fields don't have a variable like 'Host' or 'Site' on the general tab. Kinda of annoying. Wish there was a way to pretest a variable to see what they resolve to BEFORE using them, otherwise lots of wasted time.

HB

**EDIT**

I feel dumb, don't get your 'Customer' & 'Company' mixed up!!! haha $CUSTOMER_INFORMATION_COMPANY$ worked and was indeed the field I mentioned above.

Clock10 days