Forum / Password Vault Manager - Support

upgrade to V10...now continually prompting for datasource master key

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Ok just upgraded my client to V10 and now am continually getting prompted to enter/re-enter a datasource master key but its not accepting my single password.

This is in addition to my single password to open the app.

What has changed?????

Clock21 days

Hello Grant,
What data source type do you use?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock21 days

Hello,

If you have never set a masterkey on the datasource before, selecting No masterkey when you get that prompt should be enough to not get that prompt anymore.

If you did set one when you recieved that prompt, it will ask you for a masterkey to access the datasource.

Did you had a masterkey set before version 10?

Regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock20 days

Not sure if I initially set a master key. Have no notes in my password record so assume not. No documentation in the help on what a master key is and whether I need it or not.

Help tells me who to set one, but not what its for!

Clock20 days

Hello @Grant,

That just might help you remember.

Window

When you saw this window did you remember to have set a password then hitting save or hitting the button no Masterkey?

The masterkey encrypt the datasource file behind a password. If you do not remember what you have set it to, try the your windows password or your password to unlock the applications, it might just be the same.

Regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Window.jpg
Clock20 days

Pretty sure I have no set a master key in the past.Its all working ok now and I've clicked on the "no Master Key" for now, but what I want to know is..should I set a master key or not.

PVM is pretty slow now to save each time a single record is updated, so the last thing I want is for it to be slower, which I expect would happen if there is another layer of encryption going on in the back end?

Where is the documentation that explains what level of encryption/protection I am getting with/without a master key?

Clock20 days

Hello,

Without a MasterKey, only the passwords are encrypted inside your connections.dod file.

Enabling the Masterkey will encrypt the entire data.

For more information's regarding the security, you can consult https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/overview_security.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock20 days

So does full encryption with a master key effect performance for saving and editing records?

Clock19 days

It should not, since it's executed on the client directly. By the way, could you verify in Help->Diagnostic the size of the data source?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock19 days

datasource size 521.8 kb
44 RTF notes (no images now as that was killing performance)

Clock19 days