Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Windows Authentication feature not working with DPS 6.0/RDM 14

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

@Grant, I am afraid to say that it's hard to know exactly when the new DPS version will be released. We hope to release it soon.

About the Windows Authentication, a workaround exist that the domain name needs to be set as the NetBios name. Have you tried it?

We can offer you a remote session to investigate all your issues and see what we can do to troubleshoot them. Please send an email to ticket@devolutions.net and we will send you our online calendar to book an appointment.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on June 24 and July 1st, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

We use Windows Authentication with NETBIOS. User log in using MY-DOMAIN\Username.
User can log in to RDM BUT if he wants to change the repository every time the following error occurs:

2018+12+13+19+04+34+Window

Afterwards the user gets disconnected but can click refresh and the selected repository loads. The Error occurs every Time a User wants to Change the Repository. On our Macs we do not have any issues while switching through Repositories because no Windows Authentication is used. When we turn off using Windows Authentication on the affected Windows Client RDM is running smooth and well.

Console and Clients are updated to the latest available Builds.

Error-Message:
The following error was received by MY-DOMAIN\username at 12/13/2018 6:30:50 PM
Error:
DirectoryServicesCOMException - Der Benutzername oder das Kennwort ist falsch. at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail) at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll(Boolean findMoreThanOne) at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindOne() at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.DirectoryServicesManager.GetGroups(UserPrincipal userPrincipal, PrincipalContext context, DirectoryServicesQueryParameter parameter) at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.DirectoryServicesManager.GetUserDetails(String fullName, DirectoryServicesQueryParameter directoryServicesQueryParameter, Boolean isMultiDomain, RoleEntity[] roleNames) at Devolutions.Server.Controllers.APIControllers.V2.BackendApiController.GetCurrentUser(GetCurrentUserData data) at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] ) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.Execute(Object instance, Object[] arguments) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken) --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.AuthorizationFilterAttribute.d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.d__0.MoveNext() --- DefaultSource:
System.DirectoryServices

2018-12-13 19_04_34-Window.png
Clock7 mths

Hello,

@Andreas, could you please check if the domain name set in the Domain tab of the Devolutions Password Server setting is the NetBios domain name format? The workaround is you have to change the domain name to its NetBios name format.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on June 24 and July 1st, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi Erica,

I changed the Domain to our Netbios Name "MY-NETBIOS" (has hyphen in it) but it does not solve the Problem. Error is the same.

:-(

Clock7 mths

Hello Andreas,

Does the Administration fields in the Domain tab of the DPS settings is populated with a domain account that has enough privileges to gather AD user account information?

If so, using the NetBios domain name doesn't help. Then, you will have to wait for the next DPS version that includes a fix for the Windows Authentication issue. We should release it soon but cannot say when exactly.

So, I would recommend you to set back the FQDN in the Domain tab and then either put the user credentials in File - Data Sources or set the Always prompt for credentials option box until the next version will be available.

I am very sorry about that.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi Erica!

In our case no explicit Administrator Credentials were set, we used "Current Windows Session".
I´ve changed it to use the AD Admin Credentials for testing and now the error is gone by active Windows Authentication. :-)

Can I consider this as an Workaround and do I have to change the altered Domain Name and Credentials back to it´s Defaults when the Updates comes out?
What Domain Privileges the Admin Account at least must have for proper Authentication used in this case? I will not use the Domain Admin itself in production environment?

For now, it seems to work.

smile

Clock7 mths

Hello,

You will find the information about the Administration credentials field on the following online help page.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/settings_domain.htm#settings

Then, I would recommend you to set back the domain name when you will install the new DPS version.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hello,

Devolutions Password Server version 6.1 is now available and the fix for the Windows Authentication issue is included. Please note that RDM version 14.1 is required to connect on this DPS version.

We strongly recommend following the instructions on this online help page: Upgrading Devolutions Password Server

We also offer free remote session to assist you during the upgrade process of your DPS instance. If you would like to book a session, please send an email to ticket@devolutions.net and we will send you our online calendar.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths