Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Windows Authentication feature not working with DPS 6.0/RDM 14

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
When trying to log on a Devolutions Password Server instance version 6.0 from Remote Desktop Manager version 14 using the Windows authentication option enabled, you will get the following error message in RDM : Unable to Connect to your Data Source.

We are able to reproduce the issue and a ticket has been sent to our engineering department. The ticket number is DPS-2241. As soon as the support team will get any information about this issue, we will post it here.

The workaround is to go in File - Data Sources, edit the data source and disable the Windows Authentication option. Then populate the username and password fields and save your modifications.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on June 24 and July 1st, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,

For all of you that this may concern, if you don't want to ask all your users to update their data source configuration, the most secure workaround is to revert back your DPS installation until this will be fix.

If you need help to restore your current DPS installation, please see the Restore steps section of the following online help page https://helpserver.devolutions.net/kb_backup.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on June 24 and July 1st, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hi,

still not fixed in 6.0.1.0. Andy News on this?

Thanks!

Clock8 mths

Hi,
still there with DPS 6.0.1.0 and RDM V.14.0.2.0

Clock8 mths

Hello,

The issue still exist and we will keep you informed as soon as a fix will be available.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello Erica,
thanks.

Clock8 mths

Is the bug in DVLS or is it in RDM?

Clock8 mths

Hello,

@everyone, the issue is in Devolutions Password Server.

Again, as soon as a fix will be available, I will post it here.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,

@everyone, Devolutions Password Server version 6.0.2 is now available online. This version includes the fix for the Windows Authentication issue.

We highly recommend to follow the procedure for Upgrading Devolutions Passwword Server.

We also offer a free remote session to assist customers during the upgrade process. If you would like to book a session, please contact us at ticket@devolutions.net.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hi Erica,

I just tested the new release and the integrated Windows authentication is still not working 100%. If the username is set to be the UPN (user@domain) I'm not able to login with the integrated authentication, only if the username is set to be on the NetBios format (DOMAIN\user) it is working - but still gives a lot of event logs like "bad domain".

So, in the end, I restored my working 5.x release again. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Ulrich

Clock8 mths

Hello Ulrich,

I will this behavior tomorrow at work. I have tested some of these scenarios but will have to check this out more deeply.

Could you please go in the DPS Console and send us the Diagnostic report using Send Diagnostic to support? Please add a reference to this topic.

I would also need the username format that are used in Users Management dialog. Is it UPN, NetBios or only the username. No need to have a screen shot of that dialog, just want to know the username format save in the database.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hi,

Upgraded to the latest server and client today, but sadly no change here.

No matter which "Username Format" I choose in DPS, I get the "Connection failed!" in RDM.

@Erica I have sent a diagnostic report to you.

Clock8 mths

Hi,

I can't send a diagnostic report, because I'm already switched back to the old version. The users are all registered with their UPN (user@domain). As Ii just wrote above, when I add a new user with the NetBiosformattingg (DOMAIN\user) it works but gives a lot of warnings/errors in the DVLS logs about the login.

Regards
Ulrich

Clock8 mths

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your DPS Diagnostic report.

What exact error message do you get in RDM? Is it the 500 error message?

From your report, I can see that there is no domain account set in the Administration credentials field of the Domain tab in your DPS settings? Could you please try to set this account? You will find more information about this field on the foloowing online help page.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/settings_domain.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hi Erica,

I'm not getting the 500 error message anymore.

I'm getting the "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials" when using Remote Desktop Manager and a prompt for login if I visit the Password Server via Chrome browser (site is added to trusted sites with automatic logon with current user name and password enabled).

I've tried adding a domain admin account to the Authentication > Domain > Domain Authentication page, with the same result. Dont know if i'm missing something in my setup.

- Peter

Clock8 mths

Hello,
the new DPS V 6.0.2.0 is available.
This Version fix the issue with windows Authenticatio.

I update and works.

Clock8 mths

Hello,

Do you have something relevant in the DPS Logs?
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/configure_dvlslogs.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,

@Ulrich, could you please send us an email at ticket@devolutions.net? We want to schedule an appointment for a remote session to upgrade your DPS instance or create a new instance in a staging/test environment and troubleshoot the Windows Authentication issue in your environment.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hi @all!

I can confirm Ulrichs´s experience using windows authentication still not working properly. Our domain user authentication is set to sam Account and before upgrading to DPS 6 and client to 14.x we had no issues. Now RDM shows error Message "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials".

2018+11+05+20+42+26+Window

A warning can be found in Server-Log with timestamp of logon, title = GetLoginAccess and in the lower window "SessionRequired"

Switching Windows Authentication off all issues are gone.
After downgrading to DPS 5 and Client 13 Windows Authentication is working well again.

We tried to setup a new repository, created a new AD User and granted him to the repo, still the same error.
Our AD credentials are DOMAIN\username and we use complex Passwords.

Regards,
Andreas

Ulrich Mayr wrote:

Hi Erica,

I just tested the new release and the integrated Windows authentication is still not working 100%. If the username is set to be the UPN (user@domain) I'm not able to login with the integrated authentication, only if the username is set to be on the NetBios format (DOMAIN\user) it is working - but still gives a lot of event logs like "bad domain".

So, in the end, I restored my working 5.x release again. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Ulrich

2018-11-05 20_42_26-Window.png
Clock8 mths

Hello,

@Andreas, could you please send us the DPS Diagnostic report using Send Diagnostic to Support in the DPS Console?
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/kb_senddiagnostic.htm

Even if you run DPS version 5.x, I will check if I can find something in your DPS configuration that could cause this issue.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

I'm also receiving "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials" when re-enabling windows authentication after upgrading to 6.0.2

I'll send through dianostics reports.

Clock8 mths

I've sent my diagnostic report too.

We are seeing the same "errors". No 500 error anymore, but the Windows authentication mechanisme does not work. As others has mentioned it states invalid username or password.

- Peter

Clock8 mths

I get the same error, i have been happy too early

Clock8 mths

Hello,

I have seen different issues about the Windows Authentication feature and there are some configuration that you must check to be sure that you are using the right version Devolutions Password Server.

@everyone, First of all, be sure that the DPS Console has been updated to version 6.0.2.0. The console is an application to allow you to manage the DPS web application. It is also needed to apply the right updates on the DPS web application. Next, the DPS web application needs to be updated to version 6.0.2. We highly recommend to follow all steps on the following online help page. One of the highly recommended step is to test the new version in a staging/test environment before updating your production DPS instance.

https://helpserver.devolutions.net/upgrade_rdms.htm

@Peter, your DPS web application is on version 6.0.2 but your DPS Console is still on version 6.0.1. Could you please upgrade your DPS Console to latest version? Then, you will have to apply again the 6.0.2 update on your DPS web application with the Upgrade Server button.

@Marc, could you please send me your DPS Diagnostic report using Send Diagnostic to Support from the DPS Console?

@Stuart, I will contact you from the email you sent us.

Finally, we offer a free remote session to assist you during the upgrade process of your DPS instance. If you would like to book a session, please send an email to ticket@devolutions.net.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

DPS Report is delivered

Clock8 mths

Hello Marc,

I have received your DPS Diagnostic report. I see that there is no domain account configured in the Administration credentials filed in the Domain tab of your DPS settings. Could you please populate this field with a domain account that has enough privileges on your AD structure to gather user account information? It doesn't need to be an AD administrator account, a service account should be enough. You will find more information on the following online help page about the requirements of the Administration credentials field.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/settings_domain.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,
i configured a user account which have enough privilege
I change the settings from"current windows session" to "use custom credentials".
This change had a success.

I will send you a DPS report as well.

Clock8 mths

Hi Erica,

My fault, just expected the DPS Console to upgrade along with server.
Anyway, I've upgraded the DPS Console to the latest, and re-run the Upgrade Server procedure by clicking the Upgrade Server button.

Results: The same, still gives me a login error, when trying to use Windows Authentication from my workstation.

I'll send a DPS Diagostic report again.

Clock8 mths

Hello,

@Marc, as I understand, you are now able to log using the Windows Authentication issue, right? If so, great! If not, could you please check in the DPS Logs if there is any relevant error messages and send it to ticket@devolutions.net?

@Peter, thank you for the DPS Diagnostic report. Everything seems correctly configured. Could you please check in the DPS Logs if there is any relevant error messages and send it to ticket@devolutions.net?

Here is how you can View Logs using the DPS Console.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,

yes i'm able to log with windows authentication.

Clock8 mths