Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

RUNS AS tab in the user specific settings

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Goes back to an issue i am currently troubleshooting with the support team. I need to run a CMD line connection via another user. the CMD settings does have a RUN AS tab, however since this is a team data source it would not be wise to put personal credentials as the default RUN AS. The user specific settings does have the override credentials, however that override does not work for RUN AS a different user of CMD line.

Here is the original post as a reference, though there are some emails between myself and a technician that lead me to his idea.
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic30177-launch-cmd-line-connection-as-another-user-failing.aspx

Clock5 mths

Hello,

As we discussed in the original post, the following feature request, Devo-739, has been assigned to our engineering department.
I will notify you as soon as I have any update on that matter.

I know that you are already aware of this but I wanted to provide this information to our community as well.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Thanks. You never know what you need until the issue arises.

Clock6 mths

has there been any update on this topic?

Clock4 mths

Hello,

This new feature is still on that to-do list of our engineering department.
I will contact you using as soon as I have any update on that matter.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

We have yet to start on this but I might have a work around while you wait. (not perfect but a start)

Configure a CMD session
TopicID 30639 1

Set Run As
TopicID 30639 2

Override the credentials
TopicID 30639 3

Result
TopicID 30639 4

Does that help?

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

TopicID-30639-1.png
TopicID-30639-2.png
TopicID-30639-3.png
TopicID-30639-4.png
Clock3 mths

Sorry never received this notification of updates. i tried this solution cmd entry that i have already created to open an MMC snapin as my domain admin. right now i am getting an a unable to execute the application!: "mmc.exe"

for the credentials in the entry they are set to inherit from the top folder where my credentials are at through pleasant password server. I also over wrote the creditials to look directly at my pleasant password, and that did not work. I also manually entered in the credentials to test this and that also gave me the same error.

Clock22 days

You've tried with mmc.exe but have you tried with a simple cmd /k whoami? I was able to get to work this way when I specified a User Specific Setting. So that should be solved.

As for mmc.exe, things get complicated. Mmc.exe is somewhat odd and executing it via a runas is not always easy or even achievable. A good approach is to do it manually via cmd first then replicating that within RDM sessions.

That being said you can try something like this: cmd /c mmc.exe c:\your\path\file.msc instead mmc.exe c:\your\path\file.msc this may help in your case.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock15 days

this did work as a nice work around. the MMC does not opened tabbed in RDM (the CMD does and stays there as long as the MMC is open), but it does run it as the user i need.

Clock15 days

Embedding (re-parenting) an MMC window is not always possible and when it does work the loaded msc can become completely unusable (won't accept any mouse or keyboard input).

Your best bet is to use it externally to avoid any problems.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock11 days

Previously the MMC tabbed in was working just fine outside of the Runas specific user. but there were a few times that I did see that unresponsiveness you mentioned, though it did not happen often.

Clock11 days