Forum / Wayk Now - Bug Report

Beta 6 breaks windows native RDP!!!!

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

The removal of the remote desktop services completely breaks windows native RDP. I now have two Hyper-V servers (Core) that I'm unable to manage

I'm not touching any more servers or workstations until this is fixed and I need a fi to get RDP working on my Hyper-V hosts that does not involve a complete re-install of the OS.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

I am very sorry about this issue, we did not encounter this problem when we tested it on our side. I have just installed Windows Server 2016 Core to try and reproduce exactly the sequence of installations you have made and see if I can reproduce this issue. I will let you know when I have something.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I need to get RDP active on my hosts ASAP. I can't manage my entire infrastructure w/oi it.

If I remove the Remote Desktop component from the existing beta 5 installs is the same thing going to happen?

Clock2 yrs

If you use the beta5 installer to install/remove the Wayk Now Remote Desktop Services component it should work. We did some tests this morning where we installed the beta5 on a machine where the issue would occur, and then restored it back to a working state without using the beta6.

I have posted instructions here:
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic30604-howto-fix-possible-winlogon-issues-with-wayk-now--beta.aspx

On our side, we managed to force the issue, then restore the system back to a working state. However, in your case, I would suggest completely removing the Wayk Now beta from your systems until we can perform more tests with Windows Server 2016 core.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I'm testing that on one of my GUI base servers now to make sure that RDP is not affected when Beta 5 removes the RDS from WaykNow.

Clock2 yrs

Removal via the Beta 5 change is safe, RDP is not affected.

Is there a possibility that repeating the process with the beta 5 installer and then removing RDS may restore RDP on those hosts?

Clock2 yrs

Removing the component using the beta5 installer should be safer than upgrading to the beta6. We wanted to make sure that people who didn't manually remove it using the old installer would still have it removed so we made such that the beta6 installer removes the component automatically. On our side, it worked well, but apparently it isn't exactly the same on your side. The safest way for you would be to use the beta5 installer and remove the Wayk Now unattended beta from your systems for the time being.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I did ask if I should remove the service using Beta 5 first and then upgrade to 6. In hidsight this would have been the way to go.

Fortunately teamviewer works on Server 2016 Core so I've regained some ability to manage my infrastructure for now but I still need to get RDP working on both of those hosts.

Clock2 yrs

I may have lucked out. Installing Beta 5, with RDS, has restored RDP capability to one of he Hyper-V hosts (Server 2016 Core).

I'm testing now to see if I can safely remove RDS while keeping RDP know that in a worst case scenario I can return to the full Beta 5 installation until you come up with a fix that works.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

Can you check that the following registry keys are set to the following values (clean values when Wayk RDS is not installed). I just confirmed that these are the correct values on Windows Server 2016 (core and non-core).

lsmproxy.dll:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{02E6EC4C-96E4-42E8-B533-336916A0087D}\InProcServer32
(Default) = %SystemRoot%\system32\lsmproxy.dll

termsrv.dll:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters
ServiceDll = %SystemRoot%\System32\termsrv.dll

I have exported the .reg from a clean machine and attached them to this post.

We think there might be a possible case where the registry key for termsrv.dll is not properly restored to its original state.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

lsmproxy_dll.reg
termsrv_dll.reg
Clock2 yrs

Well some good news at least.

Install Beta 5 complete, reboot, remove RDS but choose the option that will require reboot by not stopping the services, reboot manually with restart-computer in PoSh and RDP is once again working.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

Excellent news smile We are relieved that you got your machines back to a stable state. At least now the faulty component should no longer be installed on new installations, solving the problem.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

The registry for lsmproxy can't be written to while the server is runniing upset
Looks like I need to use the same steps I did on the other server to recover

Clock2 yrs

Please do me a favor and keep a server 2016 Core test server up and also you may consider a server 2019 test bed of both Core & GUI

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

Yes, we will definitely keep Windows Server 2016 core + GUI as part of our test environment thanks to you :P We should also add Windows Server 2019.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs