Forum / Wayk Now - Bug Report

CTL-ALT-DEL does not work on Server Core

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

ctl-alt-del does not work on servercore when the system is waiting at the login prompt

Clock2 yrs

Can you tell me which version of Windows Server you are using? We have not tested with server core, but we could create a virtual machine to test with the same version of Windows you are using.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Server 2016. FWIW I've also reported that Remote Desktop Manager does not work with 2016 Server Core too.

Clock2 yrs

I have received report from another user regarding the Ctrl+Alt+Del not working on Windows Server (not core), and I have created a ticket for it. We will definitely go to the bottom of this issue and fix it in order of priority with the other issues that have been reported.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Quick update on this issue: we have found the root cause of this problem. The DLL that we use to trigger the Ctrl+Alt+Del (sas.dll) is not present on Windows Server core. We will look into alternative ways to trigger the Ctrl+Alt+Del and come up with a solution that works on server core.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yah Server Core is an animal unto it's own genus but one that's going to be extremely prevalent in the IT forest quickly.

Bottom line is it requires considerably less maintenance & patching than the GUI version, it runs faster & uses considerably less resources so it handles it's assigned roles better, & it's the only flavor that M$ will be supplying that does not have an end-of-life built into it.

FWIW VNC doesn't work with it either, probably for the same reasons. It's also causing issues with Remote Desktop Manager's RDP implementation with a "graphics mode not supported" error.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

It may take some time before we figure out an alternative way to make this work out of the box without sas.dll present on the system, but the good news is that if you manually copy sas.dll from Windows Server 2016 (GUI) to Windows Server 2016 (Core) then Ctrl+Alt+Del works. This will likely make it work for other applications like VNC that need to trigger Ctrl+Alt+Del from an application.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Tried copying it over and yes it worked, also crashed Wayknow client on my Mac as soon as it logged in.

I figure it this way. If TeamViewer & Royal TSX can do it without the sas.dll then you can too and I'll just need to be content & wait rather than dump .dll's on my hyper-v hosts that may/may not have aotherside effects.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

Copying sas.dll over is not the cleanest solution, but it should not destabilize your system. The crash on the client you experienced appears to be an unrelated issue, we've only had one or two people report the client crashing with the beta but we could not find isolate a probable cause. After all, Windows Server 2016 with the GUI is the same as Core but with more components installed, including sas.dll.

Don't worry, we will get it working without sas.dll in the final solution. We still have a couple aces up our sleeves with regards to software SAS injection smile

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

We think we found a way to do it without sas.dll, we're working on it.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Pedro,

We have just released the Wayk Now beta7 with working Ctrl+Alt+Del support on Windows Server core smile

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

It works and install/ upgrade was painless! Well Done

Clock2 yrs