Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Am I missing something? No Simple Text editor?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

So this simple request (or I assume it is simple anyway), is because I can't seem to find a simple text editor in RDM. I see I can create a document entry with editor rights using a Spreadsheet Editor, HTML Editor, or Rich Text Editor, which is really cool BTW; but I don't see a simple text editor, or any way to configure it to use an editor that doesn't add encodings. Some files, especially configuration files, can get messed up VERY easily using something even as simple as WordPad, nevermind Word or any other RTF editor I have used. Having a separate entry that doesn't do Rich Text could help limit issues in these situations. Ideally, it should be able to use elevated privileges to save (similar to what Notepad++ and VSCode do). In fact, making this a plugin instead of a built in feature may be a better way to go (and use those tools to do the heavy lifting).

Either way, this little used document entry feature could use something like that to make it more useful for frequently accessed and edited documents. And if you are looking for a use case where this makes sense, I want to use this to edit my Hosts file regularly. I also would potentially use it for editing conf files on remote linux machines.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni and Cheese for Adults

Clock2 mths

Hello,

In the New Entry window, click on the ellipsis button at the bottom left and select Show Deprecated Entries. Go in the Document section and select Text (RTF).
2018 10 01 11 25 04

I think this is the feature that you are looking for.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

2018-10-01_11-25-04.png
Clock2 mths

Hello again!

I forgot to mentioned that we also have a Note/Secure Note entry type in the Information section that may fill in your needs.
2018 10 01 11 31 15

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

2018-10-01_11-31-15.png
Clock2 mths

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for that reply. In the first option above, that is only in the viewers section (and the Text Option works fine, as long as I don't want to edit it!). Your second recommendation shows promise, though - I am trying that now.

Clock2 mths

Just checked it out. So that has the short issue of not tying back to the actual hosts file. I can enter information there, and keep it, but I still need to find my host file, open it, and edit it outside of RDM as I am now. That is a little different than what I am trying to accomplish.

What I am trying to accomplish is little more than creating a shortcut to my hosts file so I can open and edit it - kind of like I do with websites - where RDM keeps the web address and login information, and I just connect and add the information desired on the page (or whatever). Plugins work similarly with the SCP plugin, for example, where I click on the RDM link, and it opens SCP and makes the connection so I can just start transfering the files. This seems no different, except that the file is local instead of remote (though remote should be equally doable) and the application just opens it and I can add/edit the document. Hope that helps explain.

Tom

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Does the documentation feature will do the trick?
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/commands_documentation.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Alas, no, it didn't. It saves it in the RDM database, not an external file. Basically after doing a lot of searching and working on other things, I finally stumbled across what I was looking for (sort of), with enough to tell what I really am looking for in the feature. What I found was in the More Tools button, there is a Host File entry. If I choose that, it does everything I want except allow editing (because the Hosts file requires elevated privileges).

What I was looking for was that, except that it prompt for elevated privileges on save so I can edit it on the fly. I am also looking for a way to pin that to my Navigation Panel, as I edit it frequently.

Moreover, I thought this was basically the expected behavior of the document type, but it is apparently not.

Clock2 mths

One thing I will add though - the "Viewer" section is not well named - as you can edit those files as well (I didn't realize at first). It just opens it in an external editor, which is how it is working now for me using the default document type and Mode "Linked to File".

Clock2 mths

Hello Thomas,
Perhaps you could try to create a Command Line entry on the file you want to edit and open it in notepad++ directly. You will have the shortcut. We will add another Editor type (not rtf) and the document entry with something similar to the one in Tools.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths