Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

hyper-v with failover cluster

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

vmconnect is used for a hyper-v virtual machine in a failover cluster, however the host can be any of the cluster members. In RDM you need to specify the hypervisor host for a hyper-v console connection.

The following lines of powershell can determine which host a vm is running on. Is there any way to have this run first and then kick off the vmconnect command?

$prc_vm = "MyVirtualMachine"
$clustername = "FailoverClusterName"
$vmresource = "Virtual Machine " + $prc_vm
$node = ((get-clusterresource -cluster $clustername -name $vmresource).ownernode).name

"$prc_vm is running on $node"

Clock4 mths

Hello Jeff,

I transfer this forum under Feature Request section, but prior to go further I would like to confirm are you looking to support Hyper-V cluster in the Hyper-V Console or the RDP session with Hyper-V mode?

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

just the hyper-v console. RDP is not affected.

Clock4 mths

I will have a touch with the engineering department and we will update you soon.

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi,

We had the idea of a feature that I believe could meet your needs. We would like to have your opinion on this one.

The above script can be run automatically before the session starts. So the host and other fields can be set before it launches.
Basically we integrate PowerShell scripts before session start.

Thanks for your feedback.

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

where's the script?

Clock4 mths

what is the status of this? Your last message says there's a script, but I don't see one.

Clock2 mths

Hi Jeff

First of all, I would like to apologize for not answering you in your last message.

Clarify my last post. We are currently looking to enable a new feature in the Hyper-V console entry. This function will allow you to run a PowerShell script before the connection.

Thus, by adding the functionality to run scripts before a connection, you will be able to use your own PowerShell script (as indicated in the initial request) before opening the console.

We are waiting your feedback to know if that could be a good solution.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

ah. i had the same idea that you might just be asking if running a script before the connect. Intially I looked for a way to run a script before the connect, but did not find anything. I think running a script before the connection would be perfect.

Clock2 mths

Hi Jeff,

Good news in our latest beta RDM 14.0.9 we already integrate the PowerShell script option before a RDP Hyper-V or on the Hyper-V Console.

If you could test this beta which can be downloaded here and inform us if the script work fine.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

care to pass out a hint on how to configure the entry? relative newbie here.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Unfortunately, David is on sick leave for a week, but my team will have a look at this topic and provide you the needed information later this week.

Sorry for the delay.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

The feature that was added can be located in the Event tab of an RDP session, in the Before Connect drop down, simply select Powershell and you will able to launch a script before the connection itself.
2018 12 04 14 14 42

Best Regards,

Etienne Lord

signaturesignature

2018-12-04_14-14-42.png
Clock2 mths

I found that, what i don't know is what are the variables I can manipulate in the script. For example, I need retrieve the vm name from the settings and set the host name in the settings after i figure out which host i want to connect to. I assume there's some variable with all of the connection information in it?

Clock2 mths

Hi Jeff,

I'm afraid that we are not Hyper-V expert. That being said, as soon as you found proper Hyper-V variables we could help you to assign them.

You could also look at this link which contains RDM session variables.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

the only way this will work is if in my powershell script "before connect" i determine the hyper-v host to connect to. I can get that information. how do i pass that information to the RDM connection so it uses this host?

Clock2 mths

Hi,

I will have to look with my colleague, which has better PowerShell knowledge than me. And at the beginning of next week I create the PowerShell script to overwrite the host before the connection.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Thanks for your patience, the script to add under Events -- Before Connect should look like that.

"$prc_vm is running on $node"
$RDM.Connection.HyperV.Host = $node;
$RDM.Save();

You have to add your script before the "$prc_vm..." line. Then when the Hyper-V Console will be executing it will rewrite the Host field with the one found by the PowerShell.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

That was the information I needed. I got the script to work:

$clustername = "failover5"
$vmresource = "Virtual Machine " + $RDM.Connection.HyperV.machinename
$node = ((get-clusterresource -cluster $clustername -name $vmresource).ownernode).name
$RDM.Connection.HyperV.Host = $node;
$RDM.Save();

This runs the hyper-v console correctly.

However, I need to pass a username and password as arguments to the vmconnect.exe command. There is no place for that in the UI that I can see.
Suggestions on how to do that?

Clock14 days

I will have to test the Management tools section which can store username, password and domain information. I will test the variables: $TOOL_USERNAME$, $TOOL_PASSWORD$ and $TOOL_DOMAIN$.

I should be able to test it tomorrow.

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock14 days

Base on vmconnect.exe help page, you can add /user and /password as values.

If you are looking to use the same credentials as the session please try:

/user $DOMAIN$\$USERNAME$ /password $PASSWORD$

If different credentials are required, you can user Management_tools section. Then try the following variable:

/user $TOOL_DOMAIN$\$TOOL_USERNAME$ /password $TOOL_PASSWORD$

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

where in the UI do i put the /user $TOOL_DOMAIN$\$TOOL_USERNAME$ /password $TOOL_PASSWORD$ line?
should I be using a command line entry, or a hyper-v console entry?
In the hyper-v console entry, i don't see a place to put the options line.

Clock7 days

I think I misunderstood the last request. So you are not looking to add the /user line in the PowerShell script, are you trying to use these value for one of the options below?

Hyperv option

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Hyperv_option.png
Clock7 days