Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Can you create bulk Beyond Trust connections?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

So, most of our environment is now under the Beyond Trust Password Safe environment and in using the BT Password Safe console, if you search for servers you see a list and you can click the "plus" icon to basically add the server into the tree list on the left but you cannot highlight multiple servers to add in bulk. But I was wondering if there was a way on the backend to import multiple servers through something like an XML file. I briefly exported one to look at it and there were items in there I'm not familiar with as I'm not really good with modifying XML files. Has anyone tried it or can the Devs confirm that this can be done?

PXM Console.png
Clock3 mths

Hello Brian,

For the XML import, do you mean you have an XML from BeyondTrust that you'd like to import in RDM?

As for the multi-select creation, this is a really interesting feature and we'll add it to our todo list. smile

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi Hubert,

I have approximately 700-800 servers to import now that our company has moved over to BeyondTrust. I was looking for a bulk way to import them all rather than adding one at a time. Ideally, if we had the ability to select all, or groups of servers from the BeyondTrust Console it would make it easier, however, I can't do that now and I'm not sure if that is possible. I was looking at my XML export of the current servers and wondered if I could just replace each server name with a different server and import it that way if that would work. Problem is, I don't know the formatting of XML and the import into RDM well enough to know that not only will it import cleanly but actually work.

I'm looking at an XML export right now and I see some things that may prevent me from using XML to import all of these connections:
First, the <ID> field is different, so is the <Stamp> and <SafePassword> fields. If there were a way to ignore these fields where all I would have to do is just change the server name that is contained in the <URL> and <SystemName> fields, I could work with that. It would still take more time, but faster than adding one server at a time.

XML Example.png
Clock3 mths

Brian,

The XML/RDM file import isn't suited for this. I think you might be able to accomplish what you want with a CSV export/import instead. You can export your selection to CSV by selecting your entries and right clicking > export > export special > export selection (.CSV).
Then look at the exported values and modify it as you wish.
You can then import the CSV back in RDM by doing right click > import > import session CSV wizard, then selecting your modified CSV file.

Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Yeah, I see that but I don't know if those different fields I listed are going to break something or where I need to add something where I will have to go in and make edits. In that case, it wouldn't be worth it. I'll check to see.

If you could provide a way to select all on a list of servers in the BeyondTrust console view and allow us to import a mass amount of servers, that would be awesome!

Clock3 mths

When you do a CSV export, there aren't any fields like ID or Stamp to fill out, it's different from an XML/RDM import, but I understand it can be confusing if you aren't familiar with it.

Regardless, we'll work on allowing for multi-selection in the BeyondTrust console since it's a great feature to have. We'll let you know once we have something. smile

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi Hubert,

Can you tell how long this feature request would take to get implemented in RDM?

It would also be nice when hitting the + sign to add the asset as a new entry that the name of the entry would automatically fill with the asset name which is being added in order to do fast bulk imports.

I am very interested in this as we are moving to BeyondTrust and I would like to keep using RDM for our Techops team. Manually adding all assets for each team member would not be an option.

Thanks,
Christian Marcinek

Clock3 mths

Hello,

We're currently closing in on the release of RDM 14 so we're focusing our efforts on fixing issues rather than implementing new features like this.
This is still pretty high in our todo list so we're hoping to work on this feature soon after the release of RDM 14, but I can't give you an estimate at the moment since we have a few other priorities that sprung up. I'll let you know once I have an idea.

We could definitely make the asset name be the default name for the created entry.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Thanks for the info Hubert. Looking forward to your update!

Clock3 mths