Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

VMware Remote Console opening twice

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I'm using RDM to connect to vSphere Web Client on a vCenter 6.5.

Every time I open a remote console to a VM, it opens 2 VMRC windows, one is showing the console correctly and the other is asking for credentials because of an invalid session ticket as you can see in the attached screenshot.

So, it's working, I can access the console and work in it but it's kind of tedious as it's already opening a new blank tab that I have to close (I haven't found a way to avoid that) and then I have to close the non working VMRC window and then go to the working one. Lots of extra steps...

I'm using RDM Free 4.6.0, vCenter 6.5 and VMRC 10.0.3 and the problem was also occuring on older versions of RDM, VMRC and vCenter 6.0.

I would appreciate it if you have a solution to make my life easier smile

2018-09-15 08_48_46-VMware Remote Console.png
Clock3 mths

I can't update my message...
I wanted to make it clear that I'm using a Web browser session (Chrome) to open the vSphere Web Client and I open the VM Remote Console in the Web Client, not a direct session to a VM.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

I have assigned this thread to one of my colleague, because I am not sure if it's possible to accomplish what you are looking for in embedded mode.

If you execute the session in external mode, is it working as expected?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello Jonathan,

I just tested on my side with the same setup as you and I do not have the double windows.

I remember a customer who had two path for VMRC location in RDM. Could you look at File - Options - Path - VMWare Remote Console. Could you use the Default value if possible.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

I cleaned up all old VMware plugins and uninstalled and reinstalled VMRC, I left the default path in RDM as you can see in the attached picture.

When using Firefox or Chrome (portable) outside of RDM, I don't have the issue.
In Embedded mode, it works correctly with Internet Explorer engine. I can't make vSphere web client work at all with the Firefox engine, but I believe it's oudated.
So I only have the problem with Chrome Embedded, but that's the way I'd rather use it (unless I could use an up-to-date embedded Firefox engine)...

2018-09-19 20_56_54-Remote Desktop Manager Free - Installation Path.png
Clock2 mths

Hi Jonathan,

I tested on my side and I was able to have a similar issue. But I'm not sure about your configuration. Please have a look at the steps below:

With the error:
The term 'Connect-VIServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

The cause:
This error occurred because PowerCLI modules is not linked with PowerShell or they have missing PowerCLI Module for Connect-ViServer command.

The solution:
Confirm if VMware PowerCLI is installed.
Running 'Get-Module VM* -ListAvailable' in PowerShell, show the list of VMware modules install.
They have 4 VMware modules listed in PowerShell window above.
Test if PowerShell recognize 'Connect-ViServer' command.
By typing the command we see that PowerShell doesn't have the proper module installed.
In the PowerShell Window, install PowerCLI modules directly by using the 'Install-Module' command. Many step by step could be found on Google.
Then type 'Get-Module VM* -ListAvailable' command again, many PowerCLI modules are now listed.
Final test with 'Connect-ViServer' command, by typing it in PowerShell the connection start and the issue should be repaired.

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

David,

Sorry for the late reply, I don't have access to Devolutions website at work...
Is RDM using PowerCLI to launch VMRC?
I do have PowerCLI v10.1.1 installed, I use Connect-VIServer daily so it is working but maybe it's a problem with this particular version.
I'll update to see if it works better.
Which version have you tested with?

Clock2 mths

Hi,

They have many ways to start VMRC, by using VMware Remote Console entry, we could call vmrc.exe directly.

By launching VMRC from a web page, we need to start it with PowerCLI commands. I'm not sure if we could change this process or if it's a VMware limitation.

I will have a look at this. For reference I open an internal ticket DEVO-756.

Regarding the test, I test with PowerCLI 10.1.0, so it should work without any issue with 10.1.1. Could you confirm please?

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock29 days

For info, I copied this function to open the VMRC from one of my scripts for any VM and it works without opening the VMRC twice:
https://communities.vmware.com/thread/539980

But I still find it strange that you're telling me RDM uses PowerCLI to launch VMRC from the vSphere web client.
The VMRC can be launched from the vSphere web client in any browser without needing to have PowerCLI installed, it just registers the vmrc:// protocol to the application and generates a link for the VM...
If I can, I'll try to install RDM on a bare computer to see if it works and if the same problem occurs.

Regards,

Clock28 days

Hello Jonathan,
Are you able to send the username and password from vmrc://?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock28 days

David,

Using PowerCLI you have to establish a connection to the vCenter server first using your credentials so with the connection established you don't have to provide them again to open a vmr console.

But I'm happy to report that it's working correctly without opening twice with the new RDM 5.x
One question, has the Firefox engine been updated, I haven't tested it yet.

Thank you

Clock11 days

Updating the Firefox engine is still on our todo list. It's not easy to do. We depend on a third party for the packaging.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock11 days