Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Mac OS RDP session issue

I'm running macOS 10.13.6 on a MacBook Pro 15-inc 2017 with dual graphics.
Currently on version 5.5.1.0 of Remote Desktop Manager.

The last 2-3 updates I've had the same problem.

When connected to a RDP session and I let it idle for a couple of minutes the whole session just hangs/freezes.
When this happens RDM starts running slow.

I can close the RDP session and when I open a new session it takes ages for the screen to load.
When this happens, all I can do is to force quit the application and then start it again.

Does anyone have the same issue? I have one more colleague that runs a Mac that has the same issue.

Hopefully there's a fix or patch to resolve it.
Tell me if I can provide any more information that will be of any help to be able to troubleshoot.

Best regards
Adrian O

Clock10 days

Hi,

I think it is only an issue with the Modern RDP engine. You might want to switch it to Legacy. I was able to reproduce something somewhat similar, but it was taking me hours and not minutes (which makes it quite hard to troubleshoot).

Since you seem to reproduce it more easily than me, could you confirm if this has something to do with the Metal rendering engine? By switching to OpenGL. And this before switching RDP engine. It is the most notable thing added in recent versions.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock10 days

Hi,

I just tested with OpenGL as rendering engine and I've got the same type of Freeze.
I'll switch back to Metal and go for the Legacy RDP engine and get back to you.

Best regards,
Adrian O

Clock10 days

I've tested with Legacy set as the "default" RDP engine.
I started three RDP sessions and two of them were working just fine, the last one still froze.
I realized that I've set the RDP engine on that specific host to Modern, so I went for default RDP engine setting for the node and restarted the sessions.

I've hit an idle time where I would expect freezes but all sessions are still alive and working right now.
So setting the RDP Engine to Legacy was the fix for me.

Thanks a lot! This was a frustrating issue, should have contacted you earlier smile

Best regards,
Adrian O

Clock10 days

Never hesitate to post on the forum. That's actually why it's there. wink

I'll keep looking into the freezing with the Modern Engine.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock10 days