Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Beta

RDM 14 Beta

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

for what its worth i noticed this issue as well. the tabs weren't updating upon switching. i'll see if i can predictably reproduce and upload clip.

Clock3 mths

@M M

Hello, yes sure that would help, more video would provide us more info on the matter.

1 question on the side, do you use a laptop with an integrated graphic card ?
If so, what are the specs of the device?

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

I'll see if I can reproduce. I do have a laptop with both integrated graphics and a dedicated chip but I believe I am defaulting to the dedicated.

It is one of 3 machines I use RDM on, one of which has a 1080ti (desktop) and the third having integrated graphics (also desktop). So far I have only seen the aforementioned issue on the desktop with integrated graphics as it is my primary workstation.

Clock3 mths

We do not know yet if this issue is related to hardware but from the test I have been conducting, with exact same settings from the RDM config and Session provided being by a customer having the issue, I have not been able to reproduce it.

It sure looks very possible.

Hardware with the known issue so far is from a Dell laptop with Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400.

We'll see if this lead gets us anywhere.

Thank you for reporting this.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

I am on a Dell Laptop (17 7000) but with an Intel HD 620 chip.

Clock3 mths

I found something related to this issue investigating over the web.

Disabling Data compression, Direct X, Bitmap Caching, Visual Styles and Desktop Composition in the experience tab could potentially fix this issue.

It is also possible that some network devices which optimize the RDP bandwidth usage can cause those issues.

Would you mind trying these new settings and see if it fixes anything ?

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

The bug where I am being prompted for my devolutions login every time is still occurring - on one machine it was fixed by deselection 'use default devolutions credentials', but on the others that did not work.

Might be unrelated to the beta.

Clock3 mths

@Alexandere

Thanks for your time yesterday for our troubleshooting session. Per your email and the subsequent post here, I have disabled compression. I set all other settings (smart reconnect,etc) back to where they were to test from "baseline". I have a heavy amount of work in RDP sessions scheduled today, so I should be able to give some good feedback.

Clock3 mths

@M M

Do you have a private vault set to a DOD file on one of your datasource ?

What kind of datasource are you using ?

In the ribbon > File > Cloud Account > Sign in, is automatically sign-in at startup is checked up with the right password ?

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

@Alexandre

To this point I've tried all combinations of smart connect, no compression, no bitmap, full color(32bit), etc and none of them have improved the issue. When I get some time today/Monday, I'll reinstall RDM on my Surface Pro 3 laptop again and make sure that the issue still isn't there.

zim2323

Clock3 mths

Hi again,

Sorry this did not work for you :/.

We came across another option that might change the outcome.

If you set the option to true, File > Options > Types > RDP in the advanced section (Enable RDP hardware mode). Does it have any impact on the quality?

Regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

@Alexandre

I changed this setting and this has not resolved the issue either.

Clock3 mths

Alexandre Roy wrote:

@M M

Do you have a private vault set to a DOD file on one of your datasource ?

What kind of datasource are you using ?

In the ribbon > File > Cloud Account > Sign in, is automatically sign-in at startup is checked up with the right password ?

Best regards,

I think I realized / resolved what was creating this issue. I had all the options selected properly as you mention above - however, I had two data sources; one DOD file and one local datasource. The DOD file had all the proper settings, but the local file was not using DOD credentials. Even though RDM was defaulting to the DOD datasource, I think this conflict was triggering a prompt for my credentials.

I removed the local datasource and it disappeared.

Edit: spoke too soon - it's back.

Clock3 mths

Just upgraded to 13.9.5.0 (BETA) from 13.9.4.0 (BETA) this morning and it crashes on me when I launch RDM (32-bit or 64-bit). Windows 10, 1803 and patched up-to-date. I've tried running RDM as a regular user and as an Administrator and same results. It crashes so fast that I can't even send an error report (the crash screen pops up and then disappears instantly). Nothing in Event Viewer. I managed to get a screen capture of it:

RDMerror.jpg
Clock2 mths

STGdb wrote:

Just upgraded to 13.9.5.0 (BETA) from 13.9.4.0 (BETA) this morning and it crashes on me when I launch RDM (32-bit or 64-bit). Windows 10, 1803 and patched up-to-date. I've tried running RDM as a regular user and as an Administrator and same results. It crashes so fast that I can't even send an error report (the crash screen pops up and then disappears instantly). Nothing in Event Viewer. I managed to get a screen capture of it:

Sorry, tried to edit my post but wasn't able to save the changes with the image in the forum:

Clock2 mths

Could you send me the error report or show the details? Do you have .NET 4.7.2 installed?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

David Hervieux wrote:

Could you send me the error report or show the details? Do you have .NET 4.7.2 installed?

Regards

I wish that I could. The popup screen image that I captured disappears before I can click on anything. I then have to kill the Remote Desktop Manager process. I've tried launching it several times and clicking on "Details" or "Send error report" but I am never able to. The popup disappears too quickly. Is there a command-line with debug that I can run?

Yes, I am using .NET Framework 4.7.2 - Windows 10 April 2018 Update (461808)

Clock2 mths

You could try to re-install the last working version and go in the Application Logs. The error should be logged.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

What is your data source?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

David Hervieux wrote:

What is your data source?

Regards

MSSQL datasource and a local datasource. MSSQL is the default

Clock2 mths

I rolled back to 13.9.4.0 (BETA) and RDM runs fine now. I got into the RDM application log:

9/19/2018 6:39:53 AM 13.9.5.0 - 64-bit Error System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.ThemeManager.ApplyDocumentManagerSkinElement(DefaultLookAndFeel lookAndFeel)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmMainDocumentManager.cd3ab56e6b166f4ed742b184d2b9b7aa1()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmMainDocumentManager.DoInitializeComponent()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmBaseRibbon.c2003f33b05659ffe7ea3546ebd6ce300()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmBaseRibbon..ctor()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmMainDocumentManager..ctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.UIManager.cd1336d51f5967743cc970d8c549f61e3()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.UIManager.get_FrmMain()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Program.Main(String[] args)

9/19/2018 6:39:54 AM 13.9.5.0 - 64-bit Error Silent System.InvalidOperationException: Splash Form is not displayed
at DevExpress.XtraSplashScreen.SplashScreenManager.CloseForm(Boolean throwExceptionIfAlreadyClosed, Int32 closingDelay, Form parent, Boolean waitForSplashFormClose, Boolean allowUseInDT)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.ApplicationManager.cb94ee7d02a7220c32d7ca1b34efcaafa()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Clock2 mths

Hello,

@STGdb

Could you send me your remotedesktopmanager.cfg file via email to aroy@devolutions.net. We'll try to reproduce the issue from there.

Please follow these steps here if you are unsure how to. https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/howto_configurationfile.htm

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

@STGdb

Thank you, we found that the theme office 2013 along with the ribbon was causing this crash. Were working on the fix and should come up with a new beta release soon.

Thank you for the bug report!

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Alexandre Roy wrote:

@STGdb

Thank you, we found that the theme office 2013 along with the ribbon was causing this crash. Were working on the fix and should come up with a new beta release soon.

Thank you for the bug report!

Best regards,

Downloaded and installed 13.9.6.0 (BETA) and confirming that the new release resolves my issue. RDM isn't crashing any longer. Thanks for the quick fix!!

Clock2 mths

@Alexandre

Any update on the screen redraw issue? I've played with a gazillion settings and nothing resolves the issue.

Clock3 mths

Hello,
Do you use the default theme?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

@David, If you're asking me, then yes. I typically don't change anything but tool locations and the individual session configs.

Clock3 mths

I will be on vacation next week but I will try to find some workaround. Alex was able to reproduce something with the Office 2013 theme but not the default.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Another question, is it only with the RDP connection that you have the refresh problem?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

There is also two settings that you could try in remotedesktopmanager.cfg:

<DisableRDPScaleFactor>true</DisableRDPScaleFactor>

<RDPEnableHardwareMode>true</RDPEnableHardwareMode>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths