Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Android - Support

Black screen when using the Android App on Chrome OS.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I downloaded and ran the Android app on my Pixelbook running Chrome OS 69.0.3497.21.

The app launches and then a seperate window opens but, it's all black. I'm not able to continue past this. Any advice on how to proceed?

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Are you using your Chromebook with a second monitor?

Best Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes, I am. I use my Pixelbook with a USB-C "Docking station" with the lid closed and 2 monitors.

Clock2 yrs

Huh, I tested using the app on the Pixelbook screen and it's fine. If I drag the app to one of the monitors, the window turns black.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Josh,

This is a weird behavior that occurs when a Chromebook is used with external monitors.

This issue is already on our todo list.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Nicolas Dufour wrote:

Hi Josh,

This is a weird behavior that occurs when a Chromebook is used with external monitors.

This issue is already on our todo list.

Best Regards,

Great to hear you're working on it.

My company is moving from Windows PCs to only Chromebooks and Remote Desktop Manager would be a great application to add to our toolbox!

If you need anyone to test, I would be happy to volunteer.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Josh,

Just to let you know, since we did not have many Chromebook users, the priority of this issue was fairly low.
However, its severity has been upgraded and we should start working on it very soon.

Thank you for volunteering. We will get in touch if we need a beta tester!

Best Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I'm having the same issue on my Acer Chromebook so I'm glad to hear this is being worked on, but I see this thread is 5 months old so I was wondering if this is still in progress and if there is an ETA for a fix?

I just switched to using this Chromebook as an RDP/VNC device for connecting to several Windows and Mac desktops/servers, and I don't care for the Microsoft RD Client app aside from the fact that it works on my external 4K display, connected via a USB-C hub similar to the OP.

Clock11 mths

Hi,

More pressing issues were found and had to be fixed before the Chromebook
external display problem. The problem is quite complex and could take
several days to several weeks to solve. We will start to work on the problem
in January (2nd or 3rd week) and we will try to fix it for the February - March release.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Not sure if this will be helpful, but LastPass has the same issue, but they have a workaround which is to go into LastPass's security settings and allow screenshots, which I believe just disables LayoutParams.FLAG_SECURE, so it might be as easy as that to implement. Maybe over-trivializing the effort, but hopefully this helps a little. If you need someone to beta test, feel free to reach out.

Clock11 mths

Hi,

Thank you, this is extremely helpful as the main hurdle was debugging on Chrome OS to pinpoint the issue, which can be a very slow process. By knowing what the problem is exactly we can skip straight to a solution.

In fact, we already have an option that allows screenshots in the settings screen so you can use the same workaround with our app. If you go to Settings > Security and turn off "Protect data from screen capture", this should fix the problem.

Could you please confirm that this workaround works for you?

Best Regards,

Benoît Racine

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths

Ha, I didn't even notice that setting before, but I found it now, and yes, it works!

Thanks!

Clock11 mths

Hi,

Thank you very much. Your feedback and input really helped us.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths