Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

SSH tunneling - How to configure?

Dear Devolutions,

We are in the process of testing with SSH tunneling as a better solution for a Jumphost.
Since we are not familiar with this technology, i have some questions:

1. Do you have a step by step manuel how to configure a ssh server?
2. How would one configure the SSH tunneling session in RDM?
3. What RDM variable can be used to give the correct destination IPadres to the SSH tunnel?
For example, in a SSH tunnel you have to configure a destination IP. Logically this would the IP address of the server you want to RDP to.
Or you have a web session in RDM. How would one configure the SSH tunnel session and the Web session in order to setup the tunnel and connect to the webpage via the ipadres?
Thanks in advance.

Clock5 days

Hello,

I may think that all the information's that you are looking for a present in this article
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/howto-setupsshtunnel.htm

If you have other specific questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 days

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the quick reply. I read the article, and it's pretty straightforward.
the article describes how to create a tunnel and configure 1 RDP session to go through the tunnel.
However, we have like 1000 RDP connections, and 50 web sessions and a dozen of ssh sessions.
Do we have to configure a SSH tunnel session for each of the sessions we have?
Or can we reuse the tunnel? How would we configure the tunnel with the remote Ipadres (see number 5 in the picture). Is there a variable we can use in the remote IP setting of the tunnel to reflect the ipaddress of the RDP session?
How would we use the parameter in conjunction with websessions, because websessions have no IP like RDP, but have an URL with an IP address in it.

Clock4 days

Hello,

Indeed, you can reuse the SSH Tunnel session. You can also set it at the folder level and set your child sessions to be inherited.

Not sure about the variables, could you post a screenshot of where you want to use a variable exactly and where the information will be located in RDM please.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock4 days

hello,
See the attached screenshots below:
In the SSH tunnel session you have to specify a remote IPaddress. I assume that's the ipaddress of the remote host were you want to connect to.

An RDP session is configured with the ipaddress of the remote host:
Or with a websession:

How can i dynamically get the ipaddresses configured in the RDP/WEB/SSH sessions be configured as remote host in the SSH tunnel? By variable, like $HOST$?

Clock4 days

Hi,

Base on your printscreen, using $HOST$ as variable, will not create dynamic tunnel. Doing this setup could failed, if you start multiple session at the same time because they will try to use the same local IP/Port.

If the SSH server have this feature not block, you could configure the Outgoing Tunnel Settings as Dynamic with a ephemeral port.

SSH Tunnel Dynamic

Now for the Web Browser entry, this will work for Firefox or Chrome browser.
Under the Proxy setting you have to set the Socks 5 server only.

The URL under the General tab will be the as usual one.

Proxy Web Browser

If you would like to configure the same for SSH Tunnel I also explain this at this forum topic.
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic29784-ssh-gateway.aspx#post118297

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

SSH_Tunnel_Dynamic.jpg
Proxy_Web_Browser.jpg
Clock4 days