Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

move execution folder other than appdata\local\temp (windows)

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

hello,

As our windows security policy blocks program execution from temp folder and user profile, would it be possible to avoid starting executable from these location and stay in the folder where the original executable was launched from ?

actually i'm with 64 bit edition of windows and when i start c:\tools\wayknow.exe i see a warning popup message stating that the execution of c:\users\%username%\appdata\local\temp\wayknow64.exe is blocked

thanks

Clock4 mths

Hi,

This issue is the same as the one reported in this old thread (https://forum.devolutions.net/topic26795-problems-running-due-to-domain-policies.aspx).

We still don't have a way to detect if execution will be blocked, so it is not easy to figure out a better way to handle this yet. However, there is something you can do right now to work around the problem:

1) Run the self-contained Wayk Now executable with the "--extract" command-line option (WaykNow.exe --extract). This will extract WaykNow32.exe and WaykNow64.exe in the current directory. Choose the version you want (32-bit or 64-bit) and use it instead of WaykNow.exe in your c:\tools directory.
2) Use the .msi installer instead of the self-contained executable, this installs the right WaykNow.exe for your system (32-bit or 64-bit) without automatic self-extraction.

The self-contained Wayk Now executable is a 32-bit self-extracting executable that will extract either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Wayk Now depending on the system architecture. If you launch it in a 64-bit environment, the 64-bit version will be used, otherwise it falls back to the 32-bit version. If you are curious, we have open sourced the code behind this self-extracting packer executable technique: https://github.com/devolutions/lizard.

Let me know if the workaround works for you.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths