Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Allow Data Source Server/Database fields to accept environment variables

• Create an Issue

I'd like to be able to use environment variables in the connection settings of a Microsoft SQL Server Data Source - see attachment.

This would allow us to create a single custom installer (with an accompanying Default.cfg) and use it in multiple environments (where the environment variables may change).

Alternatively, is there a way to export a .cfg without encrypting the data sources (EncryptedDataSources), and have them in plain text so I can modify them in the downstream environments as necessary? I use "integrated" in this case, so I'm not concerned with any sensitive data being identified.

Or, what is the decryption key used? Or, can the product be enhanced so that I'm in control of the Master Key to encrypt/decrypt?

environment-variables-in-data-source-fields.png
Clock4 mths

Hello,
I'm surprised it does not work already. I will double check but maybe it was just implemented for the username. Anyway, this should not be hard to add.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Should I split my other questions into different threads?

1. Can you export a Default.cfg without encrypting the Data Sources
2. Can you control the encryption key
3. What is the current encryption key (something license specific?)

Clock4 mths

For the other question, it's not possible directly in the configuration. You can export the data source configuration into an .rdd file. This mean that you could preconfigure it for your users.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

How could new users automatically be set up to use the .rdd? Is there a way to link the exported.rdd to the Default.cfg? Is there a way to encrypt the .rdd in the same fashion as an Options Export, and throw it into the Default.cfg at <EncryptedDataSources><string>here</string></EncryptedDataSources>?

Clock4 mths

Indeed it's not possible to automatically load it. I will check what we can do, perhaps we could add an autoload for a file name default.rdd. What do you think ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Any one of the following enhancements would help our deployments - If one of them gets done I can accomplish my needs.

We're in a situation where we have a new/separate domain spun up, and we have by-policy naming conventions that won't allow us to hard-code the SQL Database name in the Data Source (each database has a reference to the domain) - specifically for our custom installers. We'd like to re-use one custom installer rather than create a new one for each new domain (where the only change is the database name).

Side note, we also plan to use the GPO policy to force-accept the changes when Default.cfg is updated.

Enhancement:
1) Allow exported options (which in the end becomes my Default.cfg in the install folder) to not encrypt data sources
2) Allow me to supply an encryption key when exporting options (Default.cfg)
3) Reveal to me the current encryption key scheme, or change it to be something customer-specific (like our license key, etc) and make it available
4) Allow environment variables in the Data Source entry screens
5) Have Default.rdd overrule any <EncryptedDataSources> in Deafult.cfg as a first-time default

Impact on my side:
1) I'll be able to modify the now-not-encrypted DataSources and other settings in the Default.cfg as needed
2) I'll be able to modify all settings (including <EncryptedDataSources> ) in the Default.cfg as needed
3) I'll be able to modify all settings (including <EncryptedDataSources> ) in the Default.cfg as needed
4) I'll avoid touching the <EncryptedDataSources> element when making updates to Default.cfg
5) I'll modify Default.rdd and Default.cfg as needed

Clock4 mths

Hello Steve,

Starting from the next beta of RDM, it will be possible to use environment variables for the Database and Server fields of a SQL Server data source.

The changes relating to default.cfg have been added to our TODO list.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths