Forum / Wayk Now - Feature Request

Possible builds for other Linux variants

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Is there any plan to build Wayk Now for other Linux variants?

That said, we have 3 main Linux variants at work, Debian, which you do build for, and Suse and CentOS, which you don't build for.

I am currently testing Wayk Now as a personal alternative to Teamviewer. I work in film and video post production as a Post Production Technician/IT Manager, and I have several friends and family members that I help out with their computer problems, but Teamviewer keeps flagging me as a commercial user at home due to the number of people I help. If my personal testing and evaluation goes ok, I may recommend Wayk Now at the office so we can remote in from home to start procedures without having to come in for the sake of 5 minutes on a weekend.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Bern,

This is something we can look into. Can you tell me which versions of SUSE and CentOS you are using?

In the meantime, if you feel like fiddling with the .deb package, you could always extract its contents and try running the "wayk-now" executable directly. We build everything we can statically inside the application, and we build on an Ubuntu 14.04 environment. Here is the declared list of dependencies for the debian package: libgtk2.0-0, libappindicator1, libnotify4, libxext6, libxcursor1, libxrandr2, libxfixes3, libxtst6, libxinerama1

Aside from Gtk2 and common X11 dependencies, I think the one that could potentially cause issues is libappindicator1 that is less common on other distributions.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

We have CentOS 6.4 and 7.1, but the 6.4 version will probably be updated in the next few months. Our Suse version is an enterprise 11.x, but once again will probably be changed in the next few months to a CentOS 7.x, as the software that that system runs has changed to building on CentOS instead of Suse, and CentOS also works better with our media SAN.

I already tried to rebuild the .deb package into an .rpm, as a test, but encountered a dependency problem in the libappindicator1 if I recall correctly.

In lieu of native builds, have you tried running the Windows client in wine? I haven't tried this myself yet. I believe this is how Teamviewer works and is also how LiteManager works.

I was just querying, as a native application is always more desirable than one runnning in an emulator or compatability layer like wine.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Bern,

I would not try running it in Wine, you are much better off trying to extract the executable from the .deb and running it on your distribution after installing the required dependencies.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Why not just creating a snap package or flatpak, those would work on all major Linux distributions are easy upgradeable and easy to create?

https://snapcraft.io/

https://flatpak.org/

Thanks in advance

Clock2 yrs

A snap package is something we will definitely consider as an alternative to the traditional packaging method, it may take less work to cover a larger number of Linux distributions this way.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs